Friday, February 24, 2006

SE/RE Squat/DL

Wife had a medical coding seminar in Seattle and was up at 4:30AM, so I had to take my son to school in the morning at 8:15. So I couldn't work out before lunch - - - no running. My body is sore all over from yesterday but I wanted to keep my schedule for the week. So, I squatted today.

Squats: 140x5, 160x5, 185x5, 210x5x4. My lower back was tired from yesterday so I had to work harder to stay erect. My squats came out of the bottom better but I had to shake the cobwebs a bit since I hadn't squatted in a while. Overall, though, my squats were good and can only get better with the practice.

18” Lateral Step Up: 2 sets of 10 steps each leg with BWT and 10 lbs. 1 set of 4 steps each leg with 25 lbs.

Cybex Leg Curls: the room with the bars that I use to anchor my legs was being used by the Bangor bodybuilding team, and the lat station I could have used was also taken. So I worked up to a 135 triple and 3/4 rep with 150 lbs on these.

Nautilus Nitro Leg Adduction: 3 sets of 10 with 50, 60, 70 lbs
Nautilus Nitro Leg Abduction: 3 sets of 10 with 50, 60, 70 lbs

Short pogo jumps: 3 sets of 22. Basically, with legs stiff and knees slightly bent, use only your ankles to go airborne. Designed to improve one's vertical jump, but I really did it because I wanted something more dynamic for my calves than calf raises.

Incline Situps: Failure at 17, 13, 10, and 10 reps.

Weight this morning: 233.5 lbs. I knew I would plateau sometime. Visually, my sides are still shrinking so that's good. A little anecdote: my physics teacher in high school explained once that weight is the measure of gravitational pull on an object while mass is the amount of matter that makes it up. So, an overweight person can weigh a lot less on the moon and still look very overweight!!!

2 comments:

Christian D. said...

I hear you about the sides shrinking...I think mine are going down a bit despite the small weight loss I had this week.

Like the comment about people on the moon!

John said...

Nice job with the weight loss and the squats, Alberto.
At 5'9 and 233 you are probably as lean as I am at 5'5 and 201...
I gotta drop a few pounds in the next six weeks if I'm gonna compete in April.