Friday, August 18, 2006

Know Your Chicken:)

I came home Wednesday evening at 4:30 just hungry but knew I would have dinner in 2 hours. And I didn't want a protein shake. So I raided the fridge and found a juicy piece of chicken breast: smelled good, looked good, tasted great with some ketchup on it - - - just that. I always have a rule that anything one week old in the fridge gets tossed: my wife would tell me that evening that it had been in the fridge since I left for Virginia, which would have made it about 3 weeks old. To make a long story short and spare the graphics, I'm just now slowly getting over a bad case of food poisoning. 5 lbs and a lot of Gatorade and Imodium later. So, my training week will really begin when I get back from my one week vacation.

I did bench only today, since I have to get ready for vacation and didn't want to push my luck. Worked up to a 205 single with chains attached (a 10 lbs PR), then 15 reps with 135 lbs bar weight only.

8 comments:

Christian D. said...

ewwww....glad your getting over it however.

Going any place special for vacation?

Alberto said...

Lake Chelan, WA. If we don't get cooked by a forest fire, it's beautiful. I like the water and the resort should have enough to do to keep us busy. May have to jog or something, though. Maybe:)

Unknown said...

How on earth did a chicken breast survive in the fridge for 3 weeks without getting eaten? It'd be lucky to last 3 minutes here :)

Alberto said...

The one in my house most likely to eat leftovers is me:) My wife and son less likely. So not counting the times I eat out, I'm a busy cook:)

Bud Gibson said...

What do the chains do for you? Do they add weight progressively as you push the bar higher?

Alberto said...

That's exactly it. My 2 board press is 10 lbs heavier than my flat, my 3 board is 20 lbs heavier, you get the picture. My goal is a 225 triple with chain in 12 weeks, after which I will see what my raw bench will be like. It's an experiment in progress for me.

Kris said...

Three week old chicken breasts usually develop legs and eject themselves from the fridge, or at least envelope themselves in a healthy camouflage that makes them blend in well in a salad environment - must have been something very wrong with yours. Makes me suspicious of any chicken breast that appears to not be green or away on vacation. Good thing it was at least tasty!

Get well!

Anonymous said...

It's all those antibiotics stop the meat's natural camouflaging tendencies while doing nothing to actually stop good old campy and salmy.