Sunday, February 04, 2007

SOB Training: Workout 5

All Notation: Weights x reps x sets.

Last heavy workout before the Virtual Meet. My goal, aside from the workout, was to test squat and get an idea for attempts. I do educated guesses most of the time but felt like this time I wanted to go and see where I really stood.

Flat Bench Press w/1 pair of chains: 105x5, 125x5, 145x5, 165x5x6. The first 3 sets were hard, then it got easier. Part of that was getting my leg drive down pat, the other I don't know. I might train this way until SOB is over. SOB has one leave a few in the tank rather than go to failure; I'm gonna fill the tank with a little chain.

14" SSB Bar Squat: 135x5, 165x5, 195x5, 225x5, 255x5, 285x1 (PR), 215x5x3. Considering that I have a 30 lbs carryover from box to free bar, I might be looking at a 315 final attempt. But 285 almost felt like it was gonna crush me. Of course, that's the SSB bar at work. But I know that I'm gonna have to hold this one up with nothing, not even a Manta Ray, for the meet. I'm hoping all the deadlifts and back work make for a nice little shelf.

Chinups (Green Band): 6 sets of 5.

Snatch Grip DL: 215x5x6. With all the squatting, I skipped the warmups and added 10 pounds to the bar. Supersetted the SGDL and chinups so I could hurry and shower and catch the Super Bowl. That, and I was just beat. I'll probably pull conventional for the meet, and I'll probably wing it. I don't know my carryover from the SGDL to conventional. Since I can pull a 265 double with a snatch grip, I'll probably open with 295 and go from there.

After dinner nutrition consisted of Kentucky Fried Chicken and beer. Yummy!!!!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Good going on the squat! What kind of attempts to do you plan leading up to 315 or so? I'm still debating where to put my attempts in terms of playing it safe vs. trying to eke out a nice and round 400 kg total.

Alberto said...

First attempt would be 285 because I know I'm good for that at the least. 315 would probably be my second attempt, I don't want to blow my load inching up to it when I can just go for it. If I hit that attempt, who knows? Since there's no money involved, Kris, I say go for it. He who dares wins, eh? Time to cash in on all your hard work.

Kris said...

That's precisely what one part of my head is saying. Take a heavy but safe opener to get a feel for the weight and what you will be able to do next, then do a very near max and put everything on the line for the third. This sort of approach is deemed a success if the second lift is good and no huge tears would be shed if the third is missed. BUT, if the second is missed (depth is always the big factor on the squat) then we are left with a puny result that leaves much to be desired. Hence there is a tendency to want to put the opener fairly high as that can be what one is left with should the second attempt fall apart. It's a dangerous but alluring scheme... The other option is to open moderately heavy, then do a bit below the max and go for a max or a tad higher on the third. This is safe, but might leave pounds on the platform on a good day. Hatfield has a pretty good formula in his POWER book that I want to computerize which sets attempts based on success in past meets and current bodyweight; he claims it works like magic (or something of the sort).

Good luck!! May be attempts be with you all the way.

Alberto said...

You too, Kris. I'm trying to follow this guideline:
1.) First attempt is what you can cleanly triple.

2.) Second attempt is my training single. I picked a 315 squat because I usually carryover 30 lbs from the box. In the bench, it is 215 because I singled that on Sunday. My deadlift will be a crapshoot since I haven't trained it. So I'm going for broke:)

3.)Third attempt is a PR, based on how good one does off of the second attempt.