Friday, July 01, 2005

Wk4: Prilepin Squat/DL Heavy

Lunchtime:

Nautilus Nitro Bench Press: With the three day weekend, my next weight workout is Wednesday, the beginning of week 5. So I thought I would try this program from Elite FTS - - - go to an article called Max Effort Waves and look at the Bulgarian cycle. Hell, 4 days to recover from it. Why the machine? One, to spare the joints and two, because I don't have chains and bands and wanted to accomodate resistance somehow. Workout: Overload with free weight bench press with 245 for 10 seconds, 105x5, 130x3, 150x2, 170x1, 195x1, 205x1, 215x1, 195x1, 205x1, 225x0 (barely budged it, just one long push that went nowhere). Jim Wendler wasn't kidding, one couldn't make a habit of this and one needs to be conditioned for it. Afterwards, I felt like taking a nap. 215 was an 8 second rep: on the Nautilus, it was hard every step of the way.

Evening:

8" Front Box Squats (225): 50x6, 70x5, 90x5, 105x5, 125x5, 140x5, 160x5, 180x6x3. The heaviest week of the cycle at 80% and it was so hard. I would say the twice a week of squatting AND deadlifting is making it hard but my deadlifting is getting easier while my recovery from the squats is slower. I've been front squatting since December so maybe I'm burned out on it. So, I may start deloading on these sooner to build speed and give my body a break or, since it's getting easier in the next two weeks, I'll stop being a puss and shut up and SQUAT!!! I know I was learning this movement and mastering it, but no more long, drawn-out love affairs with movements!!!

Hoist Seated Leg Curls (115): 110x3x2, 120x1x2, 130x1N. No more negatives . . . . hooray!!!

Straight Leg Pull Throughs (115): 50x10, 70x8, 80x6x2.

GHR w/70 lbs assist: Failure at 7 reps, 6 reps.
GHR w/80 lbs assist: Failure at 6reps, 6 reps. I'm sure with no leg curl negatives anymore that this will get better.

Ab circuit for two runs.

Have a safe 4th of July to all. . . . yes, ALL!!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Doing anything special for the long weekend?

Alberto said...

I'm gonna chill out, nothing physical except for some yard work. My wife's friends invited us over for a barbecue for the 4th (ribs and Hypnotic granitas, mmmmmmm),and I'm going to the movies today. I now remember it may be different for you (Scotland), John Yeo (England), and Jamie and Stinn (are they Canadian?), but the good wishes go out just the same.

Good job on the band benches, BTW. I suppose that and chains will always need some finagling before we get it dialed in. How have they improved your bench?

Alberto said...

I'm leaning hard towards a 3-week deload. This cycle has two weeks plus a deload week left, there's not nuch more for me to gain. I would start at 60% and drop 5 percent a week until I hit 50%, all for 12 sets of 2. I would gain some, plus a lot of speed.

Unknown said...

A three week deload sounds good. Cetainly taking a 3 week break was too much (it took another week just to get back to normal), but 50% is still a good load.

As for the bands improving my bench, think I'll have to wait until I get the setup just right before I start to see any real change.

And what on earth are Hypnotic granitas?

Anonymous said...

thanks alberto, enjoy your long weekend!

one reason for maybe not deloading for 3 weeks would be that the CNS' ability to recruit motor units can begin to degrade at just over a week with rest or light loads. maybe speed would increase over a three week deload but maximal strength is likely to suffer.

a weeks deload should suffice for supercompensation...

scott:
i think granitas might be a cocktail?

Alberto said...

Hypnotic is this really tasty, blue alcoholic drink you can buy in a bottle. Take a martini glass or a margarita glass and chill it for a while. The granita part involves shaved ice or ice that has been ground up in a blender. Take the shaved ice and line the inside of the glass, packed tight. The alcohol should be chilled, too. Pour some hypnotic and some fruit juice in the glass and drink up. Oh, no weightlifter ideas of putting protein in the drink:)

John Yeo:

Thanks for the tidbit. I'll either keep the one week deload or throw in a work up to a max single in the second week.

Christian D. said...

Those Granitas sound good Alberto. Have one a 2 for me.

Have a great fourth of July!

Alberto said...

glug, glug, glug, glug, glug:)

Alberto said...

John Yeo:

I'm gonna keep the heavy day squat movement (8" front box squat) as scheduled but deload the lighter day movement (12" front box squat). That way, it's gain-gain!!!

Anonymous said...

hadnt thought of that, sounds like a smart plan.