Monday, January 22, 2007

SOB Training: Week 1 Workout 1

Yesterday, I abandoned TBT and decided instead on Chad Waterbury's SOB Training program. The reasons for this? I had already done this program and just could not get motivated to do this again. Also, I was plateaued at 233 lbs and felt I need a "buster". Lastly, after emails from Kris and John McDonald, I realized that I also had a jones for big weight and lots of it. As much as I have to train for PRTs, I have weightlifting goals (like a 300 bench) that I can't keep abandoning.

This program combines two elements and is trained every other day for 32 days. 2 out of every 4 lifting days are heavy with high volume (10x3, 12x2, 6x5 at 5-8RM) and the other two are low weight and high rep (4x15, 3x20, 2x30, 1x50 at 18-50RM). Since there is no room for much else and I've been putting in a lot of GHR work, I'm restarting Perfect 10 and am adding GHRs as a third movement, since I can do those a lot without feeling drained.

Here goes.

Lunchtime:
HIIT Aerobics (Elliptical: Level 18 for work sets a,d Level 9 for active rest): 4 rounds

Evening:

Flat Bench Press: 105x3, 145x3, 175x3x10. Reps weren't very explosive but good and steady. Felt good even mentally to have something heavy in my hands, to strain.

Chinups (Green Band): 10 sets of 3

14" SSB Box Squat: Tested first to 195x3 and 225x3 then a 2RM at 255. After converting that to a 262 1RM (Brzycki's Formula), did 225x3x8 to get my 10 sets at 85% 1RM.

Snatch Grip Deadlifts: warmed up from the SSB squats, I loaded up the bar to 245 lbs and pulled a 2 RM with it. Converted that to a 252 1RM, then pulled 215x3x9.

I'm seriously motivated after this.

2 comments:

Christian D. said...

good to see you back at the heavy weights alberto.

I'm going to be implementing a similar sort of plan in the not so distant future!

Alberto said...

I want to say that it feels great but I'll wait until next week. My back muscles are really sore from the combo of heavy SSB and the snatch deads. I gotta tell you, Chris, your progress was enough to stoke me, too.