Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lessons Learned From This PRT

1.) The intervals prescribed by Alwyn Cosgrove in New Rules of Lifting was my biggest change aerobically, and the difference maker for getting lean. That, and lifting with a lot of volume, supersets, and giant sets.

2.) That said, if I want to get better at running, intervals with an elliptical will not do it. It (and the weight training) did help me cope with the lactic acid buildup better, but that's it. Gotta run.

3.) For deadlifting and squatting, twice a week for me is optimal. Especially since I do a lot of cardio now. In both, I have to vary rep schemes and volume to make it work. Having done SOB then the heavy portion of TBT was not smart with the same exercises.

4.) Front Squats are a big help for back squats. The posterior chain may be important, but the quads are no slouch. That said, if you have access to a GHR, use it.

5.) No long layoffs this time. Some easy work, sure, but no layoff. When I was cleared by Navy doctors to PT in October, I was told that if I were in better shape before the injury, I wouldn't have had a bodyfat problem post-injury. That was a lot of crow to swallow.

6.) Leave backflips to those who can do them WITHOUT A TRAMPOLINE!!!

7.) Total Body Training by Chad Waterbury was a big fixer upper for me. Brought my structural balance up big time. Coupled with the right aerobics plan, I would probaby use it before every PRT. My biggest modification to it was the superset structure from NROL, for lactic acid work.

8.) My running program failed because even with a gradual buildup, my pace was faster than my body could handle for long periods. This last run hammered that in me: After 2 laps (3 minutes at a pace for a 12 minute 1.5 mile run), I was starting to lose it. So, I will probably run it easier and peak later.

9.) For future reference, I know that can drop 5-6 lbs in just under 1.5 hours: 45 minutes on the elliptical at Level 14 and two 20 minute sessions in the sauna. But a gallon of Gatorade to put it back was a bad choice, because of the salt content. Water would have been better, or Propel, or Pedialyte.

10.) After 2 days on a low carb diet, I don't see how people can do it for months or for life. Didn't do much for me but make me very irritable.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There's some very useful information in there - sounds as though the next PRT should be quite a different experience.

When is the next one?

Christian D. said...

How much running are you doing on a weekly basis?

I still have yet to prove anything, but if it were me I'd concentrate on going as hard and as fast as possible for the 13 minutes that it's going to take you to do this run. Whether that be treadmill, running outside, or bodyweight complexes just get your blood pumping.

I'm 2 weeks out from re-testing my mile time, but I'm thinking that it will have dropped somewhat...started at 8:35, went to 7:35 by just doing something and I'm hoping it will go down by pushing the pace a bit more with stuff from RossTraining.com

Alberto said...

Scott:
Next PRT is sometime in October, about 27-28 weekes away. Today, I started preparing for that one - - - and then some. BTW, where exactly do you keep your training logs on your blog so I could directly link to them?

Chris D:
You have a point. I've been looking at programs where I would be running longer vice intervals, but would gradually drop the time. Aside from the conditioning, I want to be able to absorb the pounding. 3-4 times a week would be good for me.