Sunday, February 03, 2013

Playing Catch Up

Today is Super Bowl Sunday, which means that I did not want to do anything but watch the game, and commercials, eat.  And I needed to get back on schedule as far as my workout goes.  Yesterday was supposed to be a RE Upper Body day, and today an ME Lower Body day.  So yesterday, I did one workout to cover both, using the efficient pairs of Squat/Pullups and Deadlifts/Dips.  I used the percentages for Week 3 of 5/3/1 and whatever my last maxes were from a few weeks ago, but did not drop them  by 90%.  Do my percentages for each exercise, plus warmups, was 30% X 5 reps, 45% X 5 reps, 60% X 3 reps, 75% X 5 reps, 85% X 3 reps, and 95% to rep failure.

Squats to a 12" Box (Touch and Go): 85x5, 125x5, 170x3, 215x5, 245x3, 275x3 (Rep Out Set).  Calculated out using Brzycki's formula, that's about a 291 max, 6 pounds more than the 285 max I had a few weeks ago.  Bear in mind that I have not had a bar on my back and have not been deadlifting to get the improvement.  And my squat sets were much better than before: I had more pop out of the bottom, the weight felt lighter when I unracked it, my back was straighter, and I had a better finish.  I also squatted with no pad or Manta Ray, and yet the bar didn't hurt and it stayed put.  Whatever I'm doing is working, and I really think the kettlebell swings are proving their usefullness.  As is the ab work every session.

Assisted Pullups (Light/Monster Mini Bands): sets of 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 3 reps

Conventional Deadlifts: 145x5, 185x5, 225x3, 265x5, 295x3, 335x3 (Rep Out Set): Reps were good and solid, lockout was good, but it was obvious the squats affected it (less pop at the heavy end) and the pullups (at 335, my grip was almost gone).  Most reps were pulled double overhand except for 295 (last two reps were pulled staggered) and 335 (all reps pulled staggered).  I know I should do more grip work until I start deadlifting more, but abs are my priority right now,

Assisted Dips (Weight is after assist): 91x5, 101x5, 141x3, 171x5, 191x3, 211x3 (Rep Out Set)

Now I'm sore.  And I'm out. 

No comments: