Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Running Program for April 2007 PRT

The following program is the one I'm currently following in preparation for the April 2007 Navy Physical Readiness Test (PRT). It is a combination of two 10-week beginners programs from Runners World, one designed to get you to 20 minutes of continuous running and one for 30 minutes. A program like this was what I used to drop my 1.5 mile running time from 15:22 (10/2005) to 12:54 (06/2006). Because of how that went, I changed things up a lot. Thanks to Kris at Tsampa.org for hosting the file. I have also included a race calculator from Santa Clarita Runners club to assist.

http://powervault.tsampa.org/caraballo/programs/28week_running_program.xls

http://www.scrunners.org/calculator.php?hrs=0&min=11&sec=23&distance=1.5&units=1&Submit=Calculate

A few explanations are in order, to explain my rationale for this programs structure. There are 3 running days on this program, vice 4. The other 2 or 3 days are spent on the elliptical and could even be walking days but it must be at least 30 minutes. Last time, I tried 4 days of running while I was lifting and ended up with banged up knees. 3 days did the job for me. Since I was doing intervals to build up my run time, I found that I need at least two sessions where I was doing 30 minutes of continuous work so that my steady distance running wouldn't suffer. The elliptical work filled the bill: it gets harder as the weeks go but tapers off towards the end, and it took the shock out of training. I'm training at running speeds between 7.3 and 6.9 MPH, but mostly at 7.3 MPH. I'm gunning for a Good-High on the run, so I need to hit a 12:23 time and the 7.3 MPH is a bit below that. I always run the first half below 6:40 (last run I ran it in 6:32) without stopping, so I calculated my low end speed off of that. I will run 7.3 MPH at all times until fatigue forces me to switch (so far, it hasn't), and then I'll adjust as I see fit. When I ran like this before, I was able to run longer before I had to walk.

The one other thing you will notice is that total run volume per session is included for each week. When I began training last time, the workouts were torture: the first week was 10 minutes of total running in 2 minute shots, and I was not in shape for either. It took me a long time to be able to run longer than 3 minutes, and it took even longer to improve that. Before beginning this program, walk for two weeks (I did more than that, thanks to a broken rib). Running volume for the 1st week is 6 minutes (since I can usually maintain good speed for a little longer than that without fail) and slowly builds up from there. The reason for the length of this program is that there is a more gradual buildup of run volume. After peaking at 20 minutes in Week 16, you get a short reprieve: the volume stays close to 20 minutes for 3 weeks but you're back to intervals vice one long run. The week before last, 29 minutes total run volume, is almost like running the course twice.

I am posting this as opposed to writing what I do each day for aerobics. But mainly I do this to show a progression and a plan. In most Navy PT that I have seen, people just run with no real purpose other than to last 1.5 miles or do the bare minimum, or with no rhyme or reason or quantifiable goal. This is my attempt. I will tweak it as I go and hopefully it will get better. As for why I'm not running continuously until the events, I don't need to except when I peak. I pound myself enough with the iron, too, and most sports don't require 3 miles of continuous running constantly. Now, if running a 5/10K, that would be different. Lastly, for weight loss, this works better for me because of the intensity.

BTW, I am on Week 3, 8 minutes total run volume per session. And I'm doing fine.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hey Alberto, how´s life?