Thursday, August 02, 2007

EFS Beginners Program: Week 12 Bench Test

Bench Press: 70x8, 95x6, 120x4, 145x2, 170x1, 195x1, 220x1, 245x1 (PR), 250x0 (I let the pins catch it).

About a year or so ago, I had a 240 lift COLD, no warmups. I started this cycle at 215 (What I benched at the Virtual Meet), and gained 30 pounds on the bench and hit it after warmups and a 220 attempt. I'm pretty happy with it. Now if I can competition-pause it and get it at the next Virtual Meet, I'll be thrilled.

One thing for anyone else who tries the EFS Beginners Program after this: when they say test bench on on day 4, and squat/DL on day 5 . . . . . DO IT. The weights moved faster for me last week, and my right forearm was making itself known. All this because I took a max squat attempt on Monday with a healing shoulder. Should have used a Manta Ray!

Oh, and believe me, I'm second guessing this lift, too. Anyone else out there think I should have gone for 250 vice 245? It's OK if anyone does: part of me does, too. Even though the 245 moved gradually enough to rule out another 5 pounds, who knows!?!

Tomorrow, is the deadlift test, the last test of this program. I'm psyched and not just because that 405 original target beckons me but because I just thought of another target: my first 1000 pound total. With my current total of 585, that would mean I would have to hit a clean 415 deadlift. Hmmmm . . . . . . should I go for 415 or 405?!?

2 comments:

Christian D. said...

Alberto - A PR is a pr. Nice job. I would have taken a bit smaller jumps (10lbs) but your right...should have gone for 250.

Try for the 415 and if it doesn't go I'll bet that you get 405 easy.

Alberto said...

Thanks, Chris. I think I was playing it safe because of the shoulder. I had hit all the indicators for a 245 bench and 240 was the most I had benched prior to that, so I stuck with the 5 pound PR. 5 pounds usually means nothing, but if it had turned out to be the straw that broke the camel's back, I'd be kicking myself there, too.

I see that you're having shoulder issues, too. Trigger point work helps. What also kept me going was band traction work: got it from Dave Tate's article. The deload was also a bit of a relief. We both have to get it figured out smartly: 275 is next, then 300, then 3 wheels . . . .