Wednesday, September 09, 2009

5/3/1: Round 2 Wave 2 Workout 2

This picture was taken in my office (J4-Joint Movement Center) here at Camp Lemonier, Djibouti.  That's Corporal Dull, U.S. Marine Corps, representing.

Add to the list of hardcore things, like chalk in supermarkets, this.  Over the weekend our USMC colonel, LTC Sexton, had the Seabees build him a chinup station out of wood, metal, and tape wrap and then install it in the office.  This is what Marines do, I suppose.  We joking tell people now that when they enter the office that this is the tax that must be paid;)

So as a challenge (and, when in Rome . . . . ), I told LTC Sexton that by the time I leave here in December, that I was going to try to do as many pullups as he could do right now.  He then threw down the gauntlet by cranking out 28 pullups and almost a 29th.  Yeah, this is what my big mouth has gotten me into;)

I've dropped the chinups and pullups from my weight days.   Instead, on the days I work, at the top of every hour, I crank out a set to failure with bodyweight (about 11 sets).  One day is pullups, one day is chinups, and so on.  And if I should happen to pop in to hang out, as I do just about every weekend, I have to pay the tax and crank them out.  Today, I did pullups in sets of 3.  Towards the end, it got down to 2 reps.  Today, it's chinups (so far, 2 sets of 3).  I'll try to add a rep per week: coupled with trying to lose some weight, we'll see how close I could get.  The Navy will represent!!!

This was yesterday's workout, deadlift day of 5/3/1 (All Notation: Weight x Reps x Sets):

Sumo Deadlift: 135x5, 150x5, 165x5, 195x3, 225x2, 255x3, 270x3, 285x5 (Rep Out Set)

Conventional Deadlift: 315x3x6.  Not exactly as bad as it looks.  Thanks to all the rep work I've been doing, this didn't leave me lying in a heap.  But after spending a good part of my day doing pullups (see next blog entry) and after the sumoe deads, I had little grip or launching strength left so I was really having to power these up.

Leg Extensions: 120x3x6

Superset:
Hanging Leg Raises: sets of 5, 5, 4, 3, 2 reps
Decline Situps: sets of 17, 12, 8, 6, 4, 4 reps

Leg Curls: 150x3x6

No comments: