Friday, September 02, 2005

Wk1:Prilepin Bench #2

Since I had other plans after work (I'm going to start enjoying this three day weekend early), I had to drag myself out of bed to work out early in the morning. Ugh!!! Actually, after 30 minutes, I felt invigorated and once I got to work and ate some breakfast and drank some coffee (twice), I felt ready to take on the day. Next time, however, I'll just wait til the next workout day - - - 5 AM is an ungodly hour for me!

Overloads (Close Grip Bench Press): 205x3 (10 second holds)

Close Grip Bench Press (205): 95x3, 110x3, 130x3, 145x3, 170x3x5. My shoulders were still slightly sore from Monday, but I think it was the reason I had a little more pop on the CGBP. The 15 reps at 170 took it out of me a bit, though, since it's more than I'm used to. One thing about the Prilepin program: you will pay for the first 3 weeks but week 4, which is a percentage point above week 1 with the same rep scheme, is easier and the last two weeks are done with an emphasis on more speed.

Nautilus Laterals (130): 95x6, 110x1, 105x6, 120x1, 75x15. A welcome break from pressing. Held each rep at the top for a second.

Nautilus Pullovers (130): 95x6, 110x1, 105x6, 120x1, 75x15. When done right, it really works the lats differently. I already have a chinning movement, a close grip movement, and a wide grip row, so this movement was different enough to use. The trick to making a pullover work? At the stretch, tense the lats hard and quickly reverse the motion by pushing down on the movement arm with the elbows, not the hands (don't grip the bar). Don't hold the stretch position. Also, contract hard and hold it in the contracted position. Ok, enough, I sound like M&F!!!

90 degree External Rotation (20): 10x10, 12x8, 15x5x2. Done with the elbows on the headrest of a bench like the kind you might use for shoulder presses.

Hoist Dips (215, BWT was 240): 160x6, 190x1, 170x6, 200x1, 125x15. Oh, boy!!! After the close grips, these were fucking hard.

Standing Reverse Curls (60): 45x6, 50x1, 50x6, 55x1, 35x15. Used a barbell for these.

3 comments:

Christian D. said...

Nice workout Alberto. To help the wife I've been getting up at 5am on Tues. and Thurs. It takes a bit of getting used to but it kind of like it!

Have a great weekend!

Alberto said...

Will next week be THE week, Christian? Also, how's the wife's workout coming along? Is he cursing you out yet:)

Christian D. said...

This is the week for the max test Alberto! I'm hoping for Thursday, but it might be later. I'm waiting to hear from my former workout partner.

Wife's workout is going well. No cursing yet. Body has adapted pretty well to the weights (soreness has gone away!)