Saturday, September 17, 2005

Wk2: Prilepin Squat/DL Day 2

My brother came for a visit on Thursday night from Newark, New Jersey on a very reduced fair, standby flight. Flight was late and construction was going on the addition to the Tacoma Narrows bridge, so I picked him up around 12:30 AM and didn't get home until 2 AM. My brother is a Newark cop, so I expected to be asked to run the next morning.

But at 10:30???

I took him to the base and we ran a 1.5 mile trail. Actually, he took ME running! I've gots to run more, I hung in there but he wanted to go around it again. So I took him to the gym and showed him the track, and told him to meet me in the weight room. My favorite squat rack was being used so I did GHRs first.

Band Assisted GHR: sets of 6, 6, 5, 3, 2. It was the running or the setup but my hams worked so hard that the burn was intense.

Parallel Box Squats w/light bands (Based on free squat max): barx3, 65x3, 95x3, 130x2x12. The squat rack was open, so I did these here. It is really harder than without bands, but my reps were fast. The only trouble is that for a conventional rack , you have to leave room to walk out so once I racked the bar, I had to be tight as a drum or get pulled backwards. I guess that's what a Monolift is for, eh?

Situps: 12 sets, done between sets of squats, at various inclines with a twist. My brother was doing them, and I felt that competitive streak, so . . . .

T-Bar Rows (155): 117.5x6, 137.5x1, 125x6, 145x1, 95x15. My brother wanted to go to the pool, so I knocked these out. Almost made me sick, 30 second rest periods!!! I'll do power cleans Monday, got to play with my bro.

We swam for thirty minutes, and I did 8 trips of walking lunges in the pull all the way from the 3.5' end to the 5' end. Then we shot the shit in the sauna. I hate to admit it, maybe a training partner would be a good thing: I did more than normal, and I feel pretty good today. Wish it could be my brother, but powerlifting is not his thing - - - general strength and endurance is.

1 comment:

Christian D. said...

I'm hearing out on a workout partner. Sometimes I enjoy going about it on my own, but other times it would be nice to have someone there to push me. I know that 225 would have dropped for both of us if we would have had a workout partner there for the 12 weeks.

Enjoy your time with your brother.