Thursday, May 04, 2006

Test

Did my thirty minutes on the elliptical trainer today, then went to the deadlift platform to test on the snatch grip deads - - - I wanted to know how much I had improved from when I started them. I warmed up with 225 for 5 then, since I topped out at 235 lbs 5RM last month, I loaded 245 on the bar. I got 5RM: after the second rep touched the floor, I switched hands on the staggered grip because my right hand couldn't hold on anymore in the overhand position. This calculates out to a 275 max (Brzycki's formula) so after 4 minutes rest to get rid of the forearm burn, I decided to test it with my left hand over/right hand under. Even with chalk, and maybe because of yesterday's workout, my left hand couldn't hold on so I put the straps on and slooooooooowly pulled it up.

This exercise is everything they say it is. It's a tough pull that slams the upper back and I'm sure it will improve my regular deads . . . . the pull distance is long with these. From Feb 28 to today, I went from a 205 5RM to a 245 5RM so I'm happy about that. But I will have to throw lots of grip work to perform them heavier next time because it puts my hands and wrists at a disadvantage.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work on the deads. That sounds like the perfect way to do them - exhaust your grip, switch hands and exhaust again, then add straps. Beautiful.

John said...

I have always thought that specific grip work was basically a waste of time.
Hammer curls serve the dual purpose of strengthening the brachialis (for lowering tha bar during the bench press) and the grip.
Also, doing deads off a block force you to hold the bar for longer, resulting in a stronger grip.

Alberto said...

Scott:
This was not by design;) LOL!!! I wanted that 275. Give them a try, Scott, and you'll see what I mean - - - they are very taxing on grip. Because of the angle, it's almost as if some fingers get to grip more than others.

John:
You have to do grip work, but it has to be specific to the sport. It cannot fatten the fingers too much, or you won't be able to grip around the bar. I don't know if you've read the Diesel Crew's web site but it is awesome for grip stuff. As you move up in the deadlift world, your grip had better be nothing short of phenomenal. It's what allows Brent Mikesell to pull above 800 lbs with 9 fingers, or Steve Goggins to pull 881 with a hook grip (That's not a typo).

Unknown said...

881 with a hook grip? Ouch!

Grip work tends to become addictive quite easily - particularly as there's such an enormous variety of potential exercises.