Thursday, March 07, 2013

Max Test: Squat and Deadlift

I wanted to get started on 5 weeks of conditioning and dropping a few pounds on Monday, so I spent last night figuring out how to max on the squat and DL on the same day.  The plan was to squat first but with sets no larger than 3 reps, then do singles for deadlift.  To say it worked out would be an understatement . . . . . . .

Squats: 105x3, 135x3, 165x3, 195x2, 225x1, 255x1, 285x1, 305x2 (2RM).  My plan was for a 305 single, but the first rep was so clean (even with a pause) that I went for a second rep and, with a little more effort, got it.

Deadlifts: 275x1, 310x1, 345x1, 375x1.  After the squats, the first three sets seemed almost easy.  The last set was tougher, the mid-point was what gave me the most trouble.  But no matter, I got it. 

I am almost at the same point that I was before my surgery, now I just have to exceed it.  Why didn't I start the maxing out stuff sooner?!?  For the next 5 weeks, I will be using a 5/3/1 scheme just so I could do more but when it's all done, it's back to the heavy stuff.

No comments: