Thursday, December 22, 2005

Suck

Yesterday's aerobics was for me to run basketball drills while my son swam in the pool. Basketball for me is a great way to get lean and in shape because of all the short sprints, body movements, and jumping. That, and I suck wind early in games, and this is more fun than running on a treadmill.

1.) Jogged four laps around the court, dribbling with my right hand.
2.) Played one-handed Around The World, including the three point range.
3.) Jogged four laps around the court in the opposite direction, dribbling with my left hand.
4.) Played one-handed Around The World on the opposite end of the court, including the three point range. Got this done faster, shot was now tuned up.
5.) Ran Suicides from both ends of the court. I want to say that the prior day's squat workout bled me dry, but would rather admit that my endurance needs lots of work. I tried my best to be fast, but felt the burns early.
6.) 25 pushups with feet elevated.
7.) 30 situps
8.) Ran Cariocas back and forth.
9.) 10 band pushups, feet elevated.
10.) 10 leg thrusts.
11.) Backwards shuffles, feet spread arms out (defensive position), back and forth.
12.) Planks
13.) Alternating Supermans. My abs were so tired. Hell, I was spent!!!
14.) Toe taps until my tibia burned.
15.) Rapid jumps using only the calves.
16.) Side shuffles in a criss-cross pattern.

Gave myself a fast shower, then jumped in the pool to play. Hot tub and sauna felt great.

Added today: Lifefitness Elliptical Trainer: 25 minutes, level 5, 2.71 miles, steady state. Can't always train hard circuits, and I do some steady low intensity stuff at times. Left feeling loose and limber.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree - any actual running beats a treadmill session. Nice workout.

Incidentally, what are Cariocas?

Alberto said...

Cariocas entail moving laterally to the left, then stepping over the left foot with the right foot while emphasizing hip rotation and keeping the shoulders relatively square; then pushing off with the right foot and ending up in the previous position. The following step moving left will involve right foot stepping behind left foot. As you see, you will alternate stepping in front of the inside leg with stepping behind the inside leg. Great for hip flexibility, quick foot agility, lateral movement strength, stabilization and balance. Dolfzine.com was where I got this description.

Alberto said...

In the past, no. As long as I don't overdo it, it makes my workouts less draining; if I were going at fuller tilt, my weightlifting would decrease but get more intense and be done less often and be more bang for the buck movements. I'm trying to do different things for conditioning but also for mobility.

Come to think of it, you are in a sport that requires a lot of conditioning. Does it affect you and how do you manage that and powerlifting?