Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Test: Flat Bench Press

Flat Bench Press: 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x2, 175x1, 195x1, 215x1, 225x1 (1RM).

This should have been a leg day for me. It's been hectic with my son now taking lessons for his driving lessons and all. But I've been waffling yet again on programs, whether to do what I'm currently doing or go back to 5/3/1 or WSFSB III. And, silly me, at the crux of my indecisiveness is my fear of not gaining much in the bench press which . . . .

1.) Is unfounded, because this program once upped it and
2.) Though my 3RM on the 2-board press was 230 a few months ago, I never tried to prove it with the real thing with my usual grip.

With this test, I will shut up now and make this work. What was once slow reps when I was training before was now crisp, even at 215. I had more pop out of the bottom, and more carry through from my usual sticking point, so the previous 2-board work had just about done its job. For the 225, I had enough pop to get it moving before it slowed down maybe 4 inches from the top. More of the higher board stuff needed, could use a little more out of the bottom but now I feel as if I just need to be more patient.

No comments: