Friday, October 07, 2005

225!!!

Farmers Walk: walked with a 100 lbs dumbbell in each hand from one end of the gym to the other. Not on purpose, mind you, but to get the DBs over to the bench.

1 Board Press w/Light Bands: Should have called this the Phone Book Press. Did not have a board but I grabbed a 1.5 inch thick phone book from work, strapped it to my chest using Dr. Squat's Back Raise Harness (If he only knew . . . ), and went at it. 45x3, 65x3, 85x3, 105x3, 125x3. Thought I needed a little more tension at the bottom and the wrapping the band around the dumbbell was becoming a pain, so . . . . .

Farmers Walk: walked with a 115 lbs dumbbell in each hand from one end of the gym to the other. Not on purpose, mind you, but to get the DBs over to the bench to spread out the choke.

1 Board Press w/Light Bands: 135x2, 155x1, 185x1, 195x0. Now, I think I had too much tension at the bottom. 185 made me huff and puff. 195, ergo, was no go. After that, though, I felt really inspired. So, I took the bands and the phone book off.

Flat Bench Press: 205x2 (My tightness wasn't there on the first rep but I found it on the second). I rested for 3 minutes, I loaded 225 on the bar, and went through all the steps in my head. Including my leg drive which was too loose on the first rep of 205 but found on that second rep. I racked it and it felt easy. Once I got it down I turned it on: Sure enough, once I got that bar a few inches off the chest I was able to drive it up. Not fast, but steady. 2 big boy wheels down. Now, will I get my 240 goal?

Since setup issues consumed my time, and we have Monday off for Columbus Day, I'll do the rest of my workout on Tuesday, but use the Nautilus Bench for higher reps vice the regular bench as my main movement, and do legs Wednesday.

5 comments:

Christian D. said...

Damn you Alberto! Just kidding. Awesome job. If you've been following on my log I'm being talked into doing a powerlifting meet in February. I'm still debating but that talk about strength is coming back. I'm giving myself 4 weeks to think about it! But I'm 60% there already!

Alberto said...

Thanks, guys, it feels great. The heavy singles,bands, and boards are just what I needed. It has really changed the way I bench.

And, Jon, I really need to do the farmers walks for real. 100 was tough enough, I could barely hold 115 - - - had to stop and reset my grip.

John said...

Very nice job on the bench PR, Alberto!
Keep up what you're doing and you'll have reached and passed 240 before you know it...

Unknown said...

Nice work. Shouldn't be too long before you're repping with the 225.

Alberto said...

When the second half of this cycle is over, I'll be gunning for a 225 triple as my litmus test for 240. Or just do the 240 and wipe my hands clean of it:)