Monday, October 24, 2005

Wk5: ME Squat

18" Side Step-Ups: 4 sets of 12. I am trying to use these as a warmup.

Incline Bench: 135x1, 155x1, 175x1, 195x1 (5 lbs PR), 205x1 (15 lbs PR). I will be starting these next week for thre weeks with no bands and I am really tired of my current squat workout, so I indulged the urge. I was happy with how fast the weights went up, 205 was steady and gradual enough that I think this was enough. Couldn't come too soon: I need get stability back in my bench from all the band use.

Squats: 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 225x3, 250x3, 275x3. For the next three weeks, I'm just gonna do 5 sets of front and side step-ups. My squat feels stale, and more squatting ain't gonna fix it. This might.

Seated Rows: 130x3x10. As a break from heavy wave loading is this setup from Chad Waterbury. I'll probably do these just for back (to push up my bench) and GHRs.

My favorite spotter was about to do 165 for inclines because he had no spotter. I told him that I would be glad to spot him but only if he took the fives and tens off and slapped on 25s instead. I showed him how to grip and pull apart the bar, and he got his 185 before moving on. As did I, to go home and mow the lawn. We're selling out house to buy a bigger home, and I have to make the house look pretty. And the GPP work was good, too.

3 comments:

John said...

Very nice incline benching, Alberto... Looks like you have better carry-over in this movement that I do.
I don't know about not squatting to fix your squat. You should really try one heavy squat day and one lighter day with higher reps. It seems to be working alright for me.

Alberto said...

Part of it might be mental, John. The other part of it is that I was front squatting (and deadlifting) twice a week last cycle and front squatting the cycle before and it's not doing anything for me now. That's why I'm hesitant to just squat more right now - - - I've done it already. After these next three weeks, I'm gonna give EFS' twelve week beginner's program a go and I'll probably learn a thing or two. I think deadlifting off of platforms and good mornings will probably give my squat a new lease on life.

My bench was a little wobbly: the bands have a grounding effect that locks you in place, and I have to get my stability back. Heavy band cycles rock.

Ok, so we know you are sitting on at least a 365 squat and a 285 bench. How are your deads coming along for the meet, John?

Jamie said...

Congrats on the PR

For bench stability, nothing is better than legs up bench. It gives all the assistant muscles a good work out.