Sunday, November 06, 2005

Mission Complete!!!

Slept through Friday and enjoyed the day off. Had Navy drill this weekend. At 3 PM, I wrapped up my work and went to PT.

I want to start the EFS beginners program this week. Maybe, I was tired of putting so much on the bench and want the squat and deadlift numbers I know I was meant for. I also wanted a change. I also thought of the goals I reached: 200+ band bench, 200+ incline, 220 close grip, and 20x8 for external rotations. Yeah, my last bench session pounded me to a pulp but with a week's rest, it had to be worth something. Right?

I walked over to the bench, loaded up 240 on the bar (I'm sure Dave Tate and Jim Wendler would have a heart attack at any suggestion of the use of 5s and 2.5 lbs disks!!!). At first, my goal was just to get a feel for it, how close to it I can get. Cold.

I took a 26" wide grip (pinkies on the second ring). The spotter gave me a lift off, and I told him to not touch the bar unless I told him to. And that's when I went from a testing mindset to one where I was going to get it. It felt as light as that 225 lift a week or so ago. Felt that way going down, too. The weight was just one steady push to the top. Goal reached.

I have not decided on goals for the 12 week program yet. Might be more fun to try to hit PRs each week a la Westside and see where that goes. But since the whole structural balance thing worked well for me for this cycle, I will probably start looking at what it will take to hit a 280 bench at the end of this cycle. That, and I will start looking for a meet at the end of it.

5 comments:

Christian D. said...

so your up to 240 now...hummmm...time to get my ass in gear and catch up to you! Congratulations by the way.

Alberto said...

Do the band benching for 3 weeks, Chris, on ME and DE day. It will change your benching,really. When you switch back to no bands, the weights will fly.

John said...

Great job, Alberto! 240 cold! You're insane! LOL.
Seriously, I'm glad that you met your goal. Good luck with 280!
On a side note, Newark is looking as gritty as ever. I have had the dubious pleasure of passing through it four times now on the way to D.C.

Alberto said...

Now you know why, despite my fondness with the East Coast, I would never raise my child there. And I lived with that for 23 years!!!

Kris said...

Congrats Alberto! That's one whoppin' PR right there.