Saturday, August 06, 2005

220!?!

I'm drilling (Navy Reserve work this weekend) and my commander tells us to go PT at 3:30PM to 4:30PM. And I felt really good today, so I decided today that 225 was going to go. Kept my cool, though: didn't want to get nervous.

Warmups: barx10, 65x8, 95x6, 125x4, 155x2, 190x1

Loaded the bar to 225, had the spotter rack it for me, lowered it with ease (never slow, never drop, just right), then exploded from the bottom. Spotter said the weight moved about 4 inches, then stalled. I told him I couldn't dial up enough tricep to push it past midpoint. Fuck!

After 2 of his sets, since he was borrowed (remember, I generally train alone), I gave 225 another go. Wondering if I wasn't tight enough since I hadn't racked it myself, I took this one myself with the same result. The spotter tells me that 225 ain't gonna happen if I attempted a third lift, but suggests 220 might make all the difference.

Frustrated but curious, I took him up on it. My technique wasn't at fault, and I had enough to push 225 as far as I did. But I didn't have enough force to finish the job, so I figured 5 lbs less might do the trick. I racked 220, got myself even more pissed, pushed just hard enough to get it just past mid and slowly lock it out. Woo Hoo!!! It ain't 225 but I'll take the 5 lbs PR, especially after 2 heavier attempts (maybe because I was pushing like it was 225). On April 29, I started out at 185 and here I am now, from lifting not too heavy but with a lot of volume. I think it could only get better handling the big stuff.

After 10 minutes shooting baskets, tested on the Hoist Assisted Dip. Bodyweight was 238.8 lbs so after 60 lbs of assist, I did 7 reps with 178.8 lbs (about 214 projected max).

Christian, it's your turn to try. Go get ya some!!!

4 comments:

John said...

Congratulations on the new PR!That's a great gain in a short time, Alberto.
Now imagine how much your bench will go up when you start WSB...

Unknown said...

That is indeed a great gain in a short time. Congrats.

Alberto said...

Some of it was gain-back: I got a veeeeeeeeeery slow 205 lbs in November 2004 but never saw it again until now. I think this next cycle will be a real test for me, because it will all be brand new strength. But thanks for all the support and the blogs for ideas, guys. This is more fun than it's ever been!!!

Christian D. said...

CONGRATULATIONS Alberto. Way to go. After your next go you'll be easily over the 225. Perhaps 240. I haven't figured out the exactly when I'll test, but I'll be gunning for it. I have 4 weeks from this week. So whatever that works out to be. Probably be smack on my Anniversary now that I think about it...damn. Maybe earlier! :)

Again congratulations!