Monday, August 08, 2005

Front Squat Test

As soon as I can edit this and get it to Kris, I'll post a video of today's test.

After a steady warmup, I loaded 275 on the bar. If this would have gone up fast, 300 would have been my next target. As it was, it felt good when I racked it, but halfway it felt so heavy that I dropped fast and had to reverse quickly once I broke parallel. Halfway, I was having trouble locking it out for a split second before I remembered to drive my traps into the bar, then it was complete. So, 275 it is. My son videotaped it best he could (missed some of the bottom). He also asked me if I was going for 300 like I said I might. I played back the video for him, and said no. But I did attempt 285 after 4 minutes rest, and you'll see the video of that - - - fucker buried me!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the video. If it's any faster, I'm also more than happy to host it for you.

John said...

275 is a great front squat, Alberto... you're not going to turn into an Olympic lifter like Jamie are you? LOL

Christian D. said...

That's a hell of a front squat Alberto. Congratulations!

Alberto said...

Scott, what's your email?

Christian D. said...

Alberto I will also extend the offer to host the video (others as well for the time being!). If your intered in this e-mail me at: christian.dorr@gmail.com

I'll post them up on my strengthnews.net site and probably feature them unless you'd rather not! :)

Alberto said...

See above Link.

Alberto said...

Thanks to all for the hosting offers.

No, I won't be an Oly lifter but I would like to learn the lifts. They look like fun!

Jon, a front squat almost reminds me of a Zercher, in that it really tries to dump you forward. It takes a lot of upper body strength just to hold it the bar steady and in place, and since it restricts how far back you can go, your quads are doing most of the work. On the video, 275 was tough, and just 10 more pounds killed me. A lift I'm glad I learned, and I want to master it further but I'm glad I'm switching to back squats for a while.