Monday, July 17, 2006

Short Review: SSB Yoke Bar

The SSB bar is little longer than the Texas Power Bar (maybe a little longer) and weighs in at 60 lbs. The original SSB had a capacity of 1500 lbs and I'll gander a guess and say this one is close to the same capacity. It has a gussett that helps provide strength and stability to the sleeve and the bar. It has a strong, sturdy feel and is rackable. I bought mine with the extended handles since I felt it would provide easier balance and stability when using the bar, and allow me to put my hands lower to really give my shoulders a break. If you do barbell lunges or step ups, the handles are worth the extra $30US.

First thing I noticed when unracking the bar was that it took more effort to do so. That's because, as you all have read, the bars forward camber forces the weight (and the person) forward. If you've ever read Fred Hatfield's "POWER" and seen the picture of someone using an SSB while holding on to the rack, it is to that extent. It tried to force me forward even more than the Manta Ray, which also places the bar higher, does. As you can tell from the video, this bar practically humbled me. For all the back work I do, and I got thrown over at the bottom. I might have to learn this squat variation from the beginning as if it were different, rather than treating it like a squat with a different bar. Should be fun. That said, the bar is very comfortable: ample padding, and the bar stays put.

One flub in this video: I set the j-hooks a tad high. Thus, the tip-toeing to unrack it:)

http://powervault.tsampa.org/caraballo/video/ssb_experiment.wmv

4 comments:

Alberto said...

Ok, make that flub #2:)

I haven't bought a replacement yet for the Valeo belt I've had since 1994. It's coming. Hey, I bought that belt before I ever knew better.

Anonymous said...

I noticed a definite little hitch at the bottom. Do you like the bar? From the review, it sounds like the jury is still out. Does it live up to its name?

I've considered getting one of these. Where'd you get yours.

Alberto said...

When you say "hitch," do you mean a pause or a point where the form starts to go? I do tend to pause momentarily at the bottom. But in this case, it was probably the bar. The weight felt easy when I racked it but as I descended, I could feel the camber working on me. At the bottom, I felt bent over too much. I still have to get used to this bar.

I got the bar from Elite FTS. I say it's worth it. After months of squatting with the bar on my back, my shoulders were starting to get tighter. Aside from stretching, this bar is a welcome relief. That, and it really challenges you, especially in the ways that causes most people to fail in the squat.

BTW, thanks for the critique. Its nice to hear from fresh eyes.

Anonymous said...

The hitch was that forward lean you are referring to. It seemed like you had to pull out of that.

I appreciate your unbiased review of the device. I had read about it in a book, serious strength training, and it was good to hear from a real user.