Wednesday, January 24, 2007

SOB Training: Week 1 Workout 2

I patterned the exercises after a setup in The New Rules of Lifting, since I'm doing a few exercises in Perfect 10 that were supposed to be done this workout. Still sore from Monday and stressed from today's workday, I was still raring to go.

All notation: weights x reps x sets (180 seconds rest between sets)

Barbell Squats: 115x30x2. Did I do 30 straight? Hell no. On set 1, I got to 20, took 5 seconds rest, got 5, then another 5 seconds, then got the last 5. I have never done a 30 rep set of squats: After 20, I was so out of breath it felt like the bar wouldn't let me breathe any more. I puked after both sets, I think I've discovered a new mortal enemy!!!

Seated Cable Rows: 60x30x2.

Close Grip Pushups: BWTx30x2

Supine Hip Extension: BWTx30x2

Lateral Step-ups: BWTx30x2. A lot easier than 30 rep squats, at least on my stomach. My ass and hips were hammered.

Twisting Situps: BWTx30x2

Was gonna do HIIT, but had my son's basketball game to go to. Though, I would have needed major motivation for that.

2 comments:

Kris said...

You actually puked in a literal sense? Everybody always "almost puked", "felt like puking", "brought a bucket" or whatever, rarely have I encountered someone who actually managed to cross that threshold. Hardcore! Did you get it on video? ;-)

Bet your legs are starting to feel somewhat sore after that treatment...

Alberto said...

Yes. The most I've ever squatted uninterrupted was 18 reps and it took me 2 weeks to build up to that. High rep squats are incredibly uncomfortable: After 20 reps, my heart rate was very rapid, my breath shallow, and my chest was on fire. As I approached 30 reps, it felt like someone was sitting on my chest (like towards the end of a sprint) and since they tell you not to rest by racking the bar, that made breathing harder. I've heard it's that rapid buildup of uncleared lactic acid that makes you puke.

Funny you mention soreness, I don't have much now. After a heavy squat workout, high reps days later actually help you recover, kind of like a feeder workout.