Saturday, March 20, 2010

5/3/1: Squat

13" SSB Box Squat: Worked up to 175x5, 185x5, 195x7 (Rep Out Set). I decided to commit to 5/3/1 after much experimentation (to be covered by another post). I really wanted to do ME/DE days but wanted to get my muscle back first and get used to lifting heavy stuff a lot. I used to use a 14" box as parallel for the longest time but in testing discovered that it was too much like my regular squat in load when it should be a little less. That, and I always felt that in the last few comps that as soon as I dipped below parallel that I had a slight bit of delay out of the hole. So this will be my new baseline for "parallel".

Single Calf Raises: 5 sets of 6

16" Lateral Step Ups w/Strength Shoes: 4 sets of 12. I haven't worn mine in years and wanted to give these a try. The burn in my calves let me know why I bought these (In Michael Yessis' Kinesiology book, you see people doing squats and lunges with them.) I don't believe they will add 6" to my vertical in 3 weeks or so but let's see what they do.

Assisted GHR (Average Bands): 4 sets of 9

Spent 20 minutes ferociously punching and kicking the heavy bag. Kicked my ass proper.

No comments: