Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Wk4: Prilepin Squat/DL

Arched Back Good Mornings (280): 65x4, 85x4, 105x4, 135x4, 155x4, 195x4x5. I was determined not to be afraid of my aches and pains, and was rewarded with none. My form stayed tight and true. My only gripe is that this was only slightly easier than week 1 was with the same weight. I think I'm starting to accomodate and will either have to try a new good morning or I might switch to the RDL.

Assisted GHR w/80 lbs assist: 3 sets of 6, 1 set of 5. You didn't actually think that 2 weeks of heavy leg curls would help this, did you? Last two sets were the hardest, and my setup wasn't firm enough. I'm going to have to fiddle with this and take notes.

Step Ups on a 24" box: 4 sets of 10. Always hard work, especially after GHRs. Almost aerobic.

Seated Calf Raises (125): 45x8x3, 55x4, 65x4, 75x4, 90x4x5.

I'll do abs tomorrow. Cheerio!!!

4 comments:

John said...

I'm starting to get accomodated to the arched back goodmornings as well... maybe what Colin Marlow suggested... bent-over goodmornings... are the answer?

Alberto said...

I'm seriously considering getting that back extension harness at Drsquat.com and doing serious weighted extensions as an ME movement. My back is not as strong in that position, thus it needs the work. And, it would be very different than anything I've done in the past. Go to the website and check it out. It's not even that expensive!!!

Christian D. said...

Do you happen to have a link to arched good mornings? I've done some good mornings very briefly and not with a whole lot of weight, but may want to work them into my next routine.

Keep up the hard work.

Alberto said...

I'll post a link when I get home. In the mean time, follow these instructions but put the bar on your back as opposed to holding it in your hand, and think of pushing your traps against the bar as you ascend.

The trick to an injury free AGCM:

1.) Assume the position FIRST: bend the knees a bit, stick your chest out, shoulders back, push your abs out against the belt.

2.) Now, while holding this position, stick your ass back and go down in a controlled fashion while maintaining a proper back arch. If you follow step #1 (try it first with a broomstick, have someone film you or take a picture so you can critique your form), the arch should be easy to get and maintain. In this manner, it is almost performed like a SDL but the shins stay relatively vertical to your feet (Think backward L). About parallel is fine, the combination of leaning back and going down will put a stretch on your hams and glutes and restrict how low you can go. Never suck your gut in to stabilize the spine: Tighten you abs and obliques and push out against the belt (big air). And never, ever round your back just to go lower. You don't need to go below parallel (very dangerous), and rounding your back will cause you to lose some essential spinal curves and get injured. And this lift is never to be done explosively!!!

3.) The Ascent. Tighten your glutes, keep the position tight, push your hips forward, push your traps against the bar, and rise in a synchronized motion.

4) Oh, yeah, train your core hard, for strength.