Thursday, April 28, 2005

Wk4: Prilepin Squat/DL

Yesterday, I walked thirty minutes and bowled to end the bowling season and played a lot of basketball when I got home.

Today, I decided to test on the 8" box front squat (2 risers each side + platform). As low as I got doing the ultra sumos, I wanted something tolerably lower to work from. Of course, I asked myself if my hips would be flexible enough for it. Second, this was my first front squat session since the injury, so of course I was a little snakebit. I just had to remind myself to keep everything supertight. I started with just the bar, to get the feel for it with a 2 second pause. It felt good and solid. Then I took 20 lbs jumps each set up to a max of 195, a smooth 4-5 second rep. That made me beam, since 20 days ago that was my max on a 10" box. I then added 2 risers on each side (now a 12 inch box), and went for 245 . . . and got it. I also notice that when I hold the weight it now feels really light.

Tested on the Hoist Neutral Grip Chin. Maxed out at 159.6 lbs. I might drop the pullovers and just do the Add 50 program (7 weeks long). No other lat work.

GHR w/80 lbs assist: 4 sets of 7. Easy. Maybe, I got stronger. Or it was probably because I set it up so tight that I had to jam my feet in the space. Or, it's because I no longer do them after arched back good mornings.

Pull Throughs-Straight Legged (120): 50x15, 60x12, 60x10, 70x6. The last two sets were grueling. I felt these even in the middle of my back.

Seated Calf Raises (125): 27.5x4, 37.5x4, 47.5x4, 57.5x4, 67.5x4, 75x4, 87.5x4x4.

Lying Leg Thrusts: In between sets of calf raises, sets of 10, 8, 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 3,2,1

Got home, and my son wanted to play. I think I've got him spoiled!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work on the squats. My eyes are watering just thinking about going down that low.

Alberto said...

It was a gradual break-in. I started out first with parallel front squats with no box, then 14" box front squats, then lower front squats with no box, then 10" box, now 8". With a Prilepin program, I also get the training from all the reps with no 1RM, and my assistance work is also up there. You could do the same thing, Scott, you seem to be strong and relatively injury free. I would get a Sting Ray from adfit.com (get a Manta Ray while you're at it) and I would get an adjustable box just to save space (I love the square ones) . . . . just how big is your flat?

Unknown said...

I think I'm at the limit of expansion for the home gym setup - the flat isn't as big as it used to be...

Still, those things aren't that big. Might add a Sting Ray to the current wishlist. Have you used it much?

Alberto said...

That's what I use for my front squats (I use my Manta Ray for high bar back squats, have owned the same one since 1994 so you know it's quality gear). The Sting Ray works awesome. Once you got it set up properly, there is no pain to front squat and the bar stays put. It's also tons cheaper than a front squat harness. Get one.

John said...

Awesome front squats, Alberto... 8" is very, very deep!