Monday, May 09, 2005

Development

I usually carry cycles all the way through. Just not this time.

I had my Navy measurement. I knew it would be close. After last PRT, I stopped aerobics for a long time, started back up slowly in March, and really got hardcore about it in April. In April, I started out with a 42 inch waist and a 18 inch neck. So, I need an 18 inch neck and a 40 inch waist to pass bodyfat. Forget making weight: 192 is the standard weight for my height of 70 inches, I'm 234 lbs.

I measured out Sunday at 40 inches in the waist, which was what I wanted. But I lost an inch in the neck, which doomed me. The one who runs the PRT for my Reserve center considered it a courtesy measurement, and told me that I will do the official thing in June, the last month I can do it in.

I'm going to switch to my heavier cycle sooner. One, to get my neck back to 18 inches. Two, since I'll be dieting hard again, I have to keep and gain what muscle I can.

This is a development cycle because the weights are heavier (70-80% 1RM) and the reps closer to 6-8 reps. This means more time under tension and more muscle, which should also jack my metabolism up. It will also be my toughest cycle for the same reason, and another: over each 8 day period, I will squat AND deadlift twice, even if the deadlifts are partial range movements. There will also be my use of an Add 50 program that can be found on the Joe Skopec site, designed for the bench press but being applied here for the Hoist Neutral Grip Chinup (I want to crack the 200 lbs barrier) and the Hoist Seated Leg Curl, which I will use to pre-exhaust my hamstrings for the GHR (I love pain!!!). Since the Add 50 program is 7 weeks long, week 7 will be a 50% 1RM deload week. Also, I will be using pushups with no implements as assistance movements for the bench, so I can kick ass on those in June, and situps only for abs for the same reason.

a.) Prilepin Heavy Day: 79% x 6 x 3 (wk 1), 70% x 5 x 4 (wk 2), 76% x 6 x 3 (wk 3), 80% x 6 x 3 (wk 4), 70% x 5 x 4 (wk 5), 76% x 6 x 3 (wk 6).

b.) Prilepin Light Day: 72% x 5 x 4(wk 1), 75% x 6 x 3 (wk 2), 63% x 5 x 5(wk 3), 72% 5 x 4 (wk 4), 75% x 6 x 3 (wk 5), 63% x 5 x 5 (wk 6).

The setup will be a heavy day back/bench, light day squat/DL, light day back/bench, heavy day squat/DL. This might help me get through this easier:

Heavy day Bench/Back: Close Grip Bench Press, Rack Pulls 2" Below the Knees, Hoist Neutral Grip Chinups (Add 50), Pushups, Dumbbell Presses, Trap Bar Shrugs.

Light Day Squat/Dl: 12" Front Box Squat, Hoist Seated Leg Curls (Add 50), GHR w/80 lbs assist, 24" Step Ups, Straight Leg Pull Throughs, Situps.

Light Day Bench/Back: Flat Bench Press, Ultra Wide Sumo DL, Hoist Neutral Grip Chinups (Add 50, some weeks will have a negative denoted by a capital N), Close Grip Pushups, Dumbbell Presses, Trap Bar Shrugs.

Heavy Day Squat/Dl: 8" Front Box Squat, Hoist Seated Leg Curls (Add 50, some weeks will have a negative denoted by a capital N), GHR w/80 lbs assist, 24" Step Ups, Straight Leg Pull Throughs, Situps.

After this cycle is over, I will take a week off [except from aerobics, because I want a thick beach body;)], then I will start Dave Tate's 9-Week Beginners program, done up to maxes vice high volume. For the bench especially and the Add 50, keep an eye out on the numbers to see where I get.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a pretty solid attack.

I take it that the measurements are considered more important than weight in the PRT. What's the acceptable weight range for your height?

Alberto said...

According to the Navy's instruction, if you make weight you don't need to measure. At 70 inches, maximum weight I can carry is 192 lbs. Even at 10 percent BF, I'm looking at 196-205 lbs. So it's the tape for me.

I worked out with a 2 Squat/2DL setup for a week and was able to do it. We'll see, at this intensity level. And BTW, nice job on the Zerchers. Doesn't that hurt like hell, though? And how is your carryover to your DL and squat?

Unknown said...

Thanks. I found that by twisting my forearms after grabbing the bar for the Zerchers that it doesn't hurt all that much. This also seems to tighten the grip a little.

In terms of carryover, I haven't really been doing them enough to tell if they make a major difference with the DL and squat, but they force you to keep tight throughout the lift which will certainly help.

Christian D. said...

So they must be looking for a ratio between the neck and the waist?

I wonder about dieting hard and lifting heavy as well. Granted I haven't done the two together, but I know when I was lifting heavy (back into it today and hopefully again next month) I was always hungry. Probably why I put on a bunch of fat I'm trying to get rid of (some call it the see food diet!) Perhaps just eating cleaner would be best (perhaps you already are eating clean!)

Best of luck on your goals. What are your maxes right now?

Alberto said...

On my blog entries, next to the lift, I put the 1RM in parentheses for reference. Current Maxes in some lifts: Front Squat - 265 lbs (Tested 05May08), Conventional DL -400 lbs (Tested 05MAR16), Squat - 330 lbs (Tested 05MAR21), Close Grip Bench - 160 lbs, Flat Bench Press - 185 lbs, T-Bar Row - 165 lbs. I can also jump onto a 36" box (barely clear it, though). I have a workout scheduled for today, so look for those maxes.

The Naval instruction is the OPNAVINST 6110.1G. The difference in values (Circumference Value) gets plugged into a chart and you look at where it falls in relation to your height. So, I would be about 25% on that chart. For women, they also measure the hip.

You can lift heavy and diet - - - it works best though if you lift for hypertrophy with the big lifts. I eat pretty clean. I've been dieting and it can make the workouts hard at times. Key for me is to keep the workouts short and cheat every 3-4 days so that my metabolism doesn't adapt. A multi and extra calcium and b-complex helps, too.