Thursday, May 12, 2005

Ultra Wide Sumo DL Test

Tomorrow, my son has his talent show at 6 PM. Have any of you seen "Napoleon Dynamite"? There's a scene in the end when Napoleon dances to Jamiroquai's "Canned Heat" to get people to vote for Pedro, his friend; my son is going to do that exact same dance scene. Should be funny.

So that I would have time to finish my workout, take a bath, and get to his show, I did the deadlift portion of the workout today. Since my test a few weeks ago with the ultra wide sumo DL was with a less than ideal setup, my plan was to test 1st with the setup I used on my last light workout, then do two sets of 5 with my new max to finish. I did a stretch for my hip flexor first (see the article on Joe DeFranco's site), chalked up, then went at it (2.5 minutes between sets): 115x6, 145x4, 185x2, 225x1, 265x1 (1RM), 295x1 (30 lbs PR), 215x5x2. My pulls were fast, I was able to drop my butt lower thanks to the stretch (designed to put the hip flexors to sleep), and my grip was good (all pulls were done with a double overhand grip).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Never read any of the articles on that site before - very interesting indeed. From the results of your workout, it looks like the 'stretch hip flexor' technique works.

Nice pulling.

John said...

Good job with the DLs, Alberto... that's a lot of weight to pull using a double overhand grip.

Alberto said...

I love his setup for Westside for Skinny Bastards!!! I'll be using that stretch more often, especially for squats.

The grip improvement is the result of two things. Deadlifting twice a week (almost, every 8 days)is one (support). I also brought out my Exer Rings which I haven't used in ages and do them when I'm at idle. Dr. Michael Yessis may still sell them. 6 rings of varying thicknesses, and you just pinch them and pull them apart with two fingers (pinching and extensor work).