Monday, December 12, 2005

DE Squat - Sort Of

Lunchtime:
Intervals on a Lifefitness Elliptical machine: 4 intervals (1 min fast, 1 min slow). My warmup was to walk to the gym and back up a lot of stairs to get back to work. 4 intervals was all I could handle. But would I go back to steady state? No. This is the best way for me to get lean, so I will be patient.

Hammer MTS ISO Incline Bench (all weights per movement arm): 25x10, 35x8, 45x6, 55x4, 65x2, 75x1, 85x1, 95x1. What else was going to do for that extra time left?


Evening:

Parallel Box Squat: 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 150x2x10.

Speed Deadlifts: 185x1x10. Speed was good on everything. All speed work done beltless.

Bulgarian Split Squats: BWTx10, 20x10, 20x9. These torched my quads and backside. I want to take this as a sign of quad weakness, but what I will settle for is the question of why I waited this long to do them.

One Armed Dumbbell Overhead Squats: Lifted right out of the No Curls program by Alwyn Cosgrove, I decided to do these instead of side bends to get more bang for my training buck. 10 lbs was used as the overhead weight, and 20 was used for the squat weight. 3 sets of 10 and these really hammered me. Not just because of all the leg work before, but my abs were really engaged, and I had to work hard to balance the overhead weight (I think some more shoulder flexibility would be nice here, too). I just had an epiphany: it was also hard because, accounting for the arm switch each set, that's 60 reps!!!

Supersetted Seated Calf Raises (65x3x10) and Pullthroughs (20x10, 30x10, 40x10, 50x8, 60x8, 70x6, 80x4, 90x2, 100x1, 110x1). It was only gonna do pullthroughs for 3 sets of 10, but I felt frisky;-)

5 comments:

Christian D. said...

I've tried that one hand dumbbell overhead squat and I have yet to complete a full set of them. It really works the body. Perhaps I'll throw them in the next program.

Unknown said...

That DB overhead squat sounds like fun. Think you may have started something again :)

Alberto said...

Give them a go, guys, it's a really good movement. Can't wait to go heavier on it. I could see now why they call him the Evil Scot!!!

John said...

I'm going to have to try that one myself!
Nice workout, Alberto...

Alberto said...

John Yeo:
According to the heart rate monitor, I was hitting about 180 BPM. I'll push it up as I get in better shape, I tried 5 and felt queasy. Very humbling.

Jon:
Yeah, 60 reps. And it was like running a couple of miles!!! Remember, you have to switch sides. That's why I'm going into tomorrow's workout a tad bit overtrained. It should be the bulgarian split squats (That was 58 reps because you have to switch legs)or those, but not both.

Stinn:
I like the speed deads - - - you could put it all into each rep. We'll see what it does for my heavy deads as time goes on, though.