Monday, December 05, 2005

The Price of Being Cheap

After a year in Puerto Rico, I arrived back in the United States in 1977. From 1977 to 1986, I moved about 9 times as my mom not only had some problems with greedy landlords and small apartments but also wanted bigger and better places for our family of 6 kids. We never had the luxury of movers, we were it. As you could imagine, it was always quick with that much help.

We tried to move cheap from our home to the apartment, so we opted to move all the smaller things and let the movers take the bigger things. Simple, right?

Where are your weightlifting bloggers when you need them:) If you have never lived in a home, it's easy to move. If you are moving from a home into an apartment, it's murder. Our house was not overly decorated or furnished and yet after the movers were done, we spent another week cleaning up and moving all of our shit. Some of our stuff went into storage. We still have to get the outdoor basketball hoop. And our apartment, though it's getting organized, still looks "just moved into." Painful lesson. Surprisingly, my wife and I didn't kill each other but we were getting really grouchy.

I've eaten like shit for a week, and have moved so many things up and down stairs and walked so much my knees ached. This weekend was for rest and I feel good enough to start working out again tonight. And I got my computer hooked up this Saturday. Next time, the movers are gonna move EVERYTHING!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Think I've only moved about 9 times in my entire life (which still feels like quite a lot) and I've been gradually swayed from the DIY to professional movers mentality. It feels like you're paying for stuff you can do yourself, but it takes the stress right out of the process.

Look forward to seeing a couple of pics of the new place once you're settled in.

Christian D. said...

Alberto,

I've never done the House to apartment move like you are going through but I might in 18 months time. Hopefully not.

and if you were closer I'd be there to help you. Think I've helped about 3 people move this year so what's another one!

Alberto said...

Be very realistic about what you have. When I first moved to an apartment with my wife, I used an average sized U-Haul (probably rated for a ton of stuff.). We had an allowance for 4000 lbs of stuff this time and if you look at how our house was organized you would never know it. SO, either be a good estimator or have plenty of strong friends. I think you might have both areas covered:)