Thursday, July 20, 2006

Totally Gonzo DE Bench:)

I was looking at Kris' blog when I read a routine called the Press-centric Raw Bench Routine. Intrigued, I tried a few things like doing the speed movement after the heavy movement, and flyes.

Bench Press with 80 lbs of chain (1/2 on the floor at lockout, deloaded at the bottom, all weights indicated is bar weight): 55x10, 70x8, 95x6, 115x4, 140x3, 165x2, 195x1. I'm seeing why Louie Simmons recommends 1 par of chains only for someone at my level of benching. With the lead chain included, I'm locking out an extra 50 lbs, and the nature of chains made every set a job. It took a bit for me to unrack the bar at 195 and since the chains move, my wrists were feeling it. 195 came down fast, but I was tight enough to send it right back up. Note to self: get wrist wraps.

Bench Press w/Light Bands: 120x3x8. As Kris mentioned, doing DE after a max should result in faster DE work. Sure enough, it was almost too fast. The first two sets were sloppy, so I had to adjust my tightness and slow the descent a bit.

Incline Flyes: 10x10, 15x10, 20x10, 25x10, 30x8.

Triset:
GHR DB Preacher Curls: 20x10x4
Band Pull-aparts w/Light Band: 4 sets of 2-4 reps.
Band Pull-aparts w/Monster Minis: 4 sets of 2-4 reps

Physioball "Y": 3x12, 5x10, 8x7, 10x5, 12x2.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Interesting to see some feedback from other lifters on moving speed work after max work - like you Alberto, I feel I am faster this way. If you have your camcorder handy, you could try to do one workout with speed work first and one with speed work after max work and tape all sets. Then use your video editor of choice and time the lifts to see how the sequencing compares. I've timed speed work in the past like this to verify that the weight I am using is good, works well.

For those of you interested in the routine, here's the direct link to the routine to save you from searching.