Thursday, November 03, 2005

Wipeout

It just had to happen. Last workout, I turned the intensity up on my triceps work on heavy day plus the 10x3 on back. On paper, I should have known: the inclines had 8 reps over 90% 1RM including one at 100% and one over 100%, and so was dips. Then 25 reps over 90% for DB push press . . .

The results? I will be OK tomorrow, which will be Wednesday's leg day that I didn't do. But I was so overtrained that I haven't slept well in three days. My back recovered the fastest, so the 10x3 is fine. I think all the box lifting and carting stuff back and forth for my job move has kept my shoulders limber so I'll be ready for Monday's DE bench session. But my CNS was crispy fried, and the added stress from my job relocation only added to it. A lot of naps have helped, and I might just get some sleep tonight. Stupid, eh? I want the 240 bad, but not this bad!!!

On a related side note, I received Elite FTS Beginners Training Manual in the mail yesterday and have to say it is a lot more logical and effective layout than Dave's 9 week plan of old. You can definitely see Jim Wendler's touch on some of it. There is no Good Mornings as a max effort movement, and some of the heavy triceps accessory movements are now 4 to 5 board presses. I might use some of this for my current 3 weeks, especially the 3 way shoulder raises instead of push presses, and one of the arrangements for legs. For now, I'll keep the dips and close grips for triceps but use the wave I had before (only one rep above 90%, total). I'll keep the 10x3 for back. I can't wait to start it!!!

4 comments:

Christian D. said...

Usually when I crash I'm able to sleep like a baby. Someone could drop a bomb in our room and I wouldn't hear it.

Hope the move will finish up for work and personal very quickly.

Alberto said...

I have the day off tomorrow. So I'm gonna do legs early tomorrow, take a hot soak, and catch some zzzzzzzz:)

Alberto said...

Probably from training like a bodybuilder:) Don't tell anyone!

Alberto said...

No, no, no . . . . I meant that remark for me, not you, Jon. Sorry if I came off offensive, not intended. I should have written that one differently. I used to train pretty much like a bodybuilder would. Not the most effective for strength but all the exercises have taught me how to feel what muscles work and in what ways. I think the high rep stuff had a lot to do with it, too, since I could put more emphasis on form. I also learned a lot from Michael Yessis' book on Kinesiology.

Mike Mentzer once said something that I always keep in mind. He said that one's eccentric and static strength was greater than one's concentric strength. Consequently, if lifting with the right load, one should be able to lower it under control, pause momentarily with it, and lift it with good form. If not, you threw the weight up instead of lifting it.