Thursday, August 11, 2005

Box Squat Test

I had a bowl of spaghetti and a strong cup of coffee this morning, with this day in mind. After I dropped my son off at the basketball clinic, I got to the gym, grabbed enough steps and risers, and went to work. All squats were done belt only, no Manta Ray, bar close to rear delts.

14" (Parallel) Box Squat (3 min rest between sets, 3 second pause): 135x3, 155x3, 185x3, 225x2, 245x1, 275x1, 300x1.

12" Box Squat (3 min rest between sets, 3 second pause): 275x1 (smoke show), 285x1.

I have to get used to squatting this way, but it felt great. I don't do touch and go with heavy weights, just so I can teach myself to turn it on without a stretch reflex. This should make for a stronger squat. I had thought of using a 16" box instead of parallel, but I'm more concerned with parallel and slightly below (the hole).

3 comments:

Christian D. said...

Nice squatting Alberto. Next week I'll be doing box squats. Adding weight. Hopefully up my squat up a bit more and get my form down!

Unknown said...

Nice squatting. No Manta Ray? Was it in hiding, or are you making a switch to Ray-free squats?

Alberto said...

I'm switching to Manta Ray-free squats for this cycle, to alter the leverage, throw my body a curveball. A Manta Ray is essentially a high bar squat, which tries to throw you forward thus forcing you to squat upright. The regular version has the bar riding lower thus changing the leverage point. With this version, I notice that the part of the squat where you are pushing the bar up and back with your traps as you ascend is easier than in the Manta Ray squat. I could probably squat more this way once I get the hang of it but I notice it requires more on my part to hold it the bar in place. So I'll be on the lookout for any signs of bicepital tendonitis as the cycle goes on.