Monday, August 15, 2005

Prilepin Heavy Cycle

A week with rest has been just what I needed. Got a lot of reading done, too. And next week, it's time for that which I have been working hard towards: the Prilepin heavy cycle. Some of my inspiration for this cycle was also derived from the Wave Loading Manifesto by Ian King, the Structural Balance article by Charles Poliquin, and Increase Your Vertical Jump by Fred Hatfield II. Since I'm after raw strength, I decided to not do dynamic effort work for this cycle.

Because of the way I calculate volume, it is about the same volume as before. Ok, more so because all the 1RMs have gone up. For the main lifts, most of the lifts are between 80-90%1RM, with 18 lifts tops and 6 reps at least. I also tried a lot of different lifts but kept a few from before. If you haven't already seen this template on the Tsampa.Org site, here it is:


Prilepin Heavy Day: Wk1 (3 sets of 2@89%), Wk2 (5x3@80%), Wk3 (5x3@86%), Wk4 (3x2@90%), Wk5 (5x3@80%), Wk6 (5x3@86%)

Prilepin Light Day: Wk1 (5 sets of 3@82%), Wk2 (5x3@85%), Wk3 (6x3@73%), Wk4 (5 sets of 3@82%), Wk5 (5x3@85%), Wk6 (6x3@73%)

Prilepin Squat/DL Heavy movement selection: 12" Box Squat, Arched Back GM, Lateral Step Up, GHR w'80 lbs Assist, Leg Raises, Seated Rows.

Prilepin Squat/DL Light movement selection: 14" Box Squat, Power Clean,24" Step Up, GHR w/70 lbs Assist, Weighted Sit Ups, T-Bar Rows.

Prilepin Bench Heavy movement selection: Nautilus Bench Press, Push Press, Hoist Wide Pullups, External Rotations (On the knee), Decline Tricep Extensions, Preacher Curls.

Prilepin Bench Light movement selection: Close Grip Bench Press, Nautilus Laterals, Nautilus Pullovers, 90 degree External Rotations, Hoist Assisted Dips, Standing Reverse Curls.

For squats, I wanted more power at parallel and slightly below, and I used 12" since I did front squat work at that height and knew I could bring that quad power to bear (When I tested, 275 flew up very fast I slowly got 285. Coincidence?!?). In the bench, I wanted to work straight bench with no leg drive but hated the instability I had on the bench. The Nautilus worked great for my speed work last cycle, and I think the accomodating resistance could help me push big numbers. I kept the close grip bench because I wanted something free weight, and because I'm still refining my bench technique and found this movement to do just that. A lot of the exercises for structural balance in the bench are there: since I won't be doing the free weight bench, then I'm working its components. This includes a lot of lat and upper back work. There will also be some overload use, especially for squats.

The arched back GM will be worked using the same Prilepin cycle as the Development cycle, since I did them last with lots of reps at weights below 70% 1RM. When I go on a full Westside cycle, I'll be doing them using Prilepin Heavy template, so this will be good prep. It will also maintain my deadlift while improving my squat.

The push press and power clean was decided on after reading that article by Hatfield. Since the front squat is an assistance exercise for both lifts, I could translate my previous cycle's work into more power on those lifts, and build up the explosive components of my bench and deadlift as well as my vertical jump. These I will do by feel to learn them, so expect 3-5 sets of 5 reps at a weight that will allow good, fast, powerful work. I might also throw in 3 sets of 6 of box jumps right after squats, to that end (Jump onto the box, but step down).

A lot of the assistance movements will be done using a small wave. Normally, I just do sets of 6-8 reps, but I wanted to get stronger on these without working to failure on each set. Thus this wave: 75% 1RM x 6, 88% 1RM x 1, 80% 1RM x 6, 93% 1RM x 1, 60% 1RM x 15. The heavier sets will make for more performance on the lighter ones. I kept one of the sets of singles just below 90%, just so I don't really push my CNS, and to maintain good form. I'll think of a wave for external rotations, however, that will use more reps and no singles.

Of course, I might adjust as I go if the work proves too much. Unlike last cycle, I will not push the 1RMs up midway but will just try to push the weight faster instead. I'm also not going to worry about a specific weight goal, I'm just gonna see where this ends.

Update: For the main bench press movements, I decided to switch it so that close grip benches are on the heavy day and Nautilus benches are on the light day. If I could bring that up to the 220s and up, I know from experience it will carryover to the flat bench.






5 comments:

Alberto said...

Dynamic effort work can be done with or without a shirt. And though it works better with accomodating resistance, it works well without. One of my first big cycles for squat had a DE day, and it really brought my squat to life.

The Nautilus was one of the reasons I got my bench up to 220, since it gets harder as you push further. Of course, realizing that it is a machine, you'll notice that I kept the close grip bench, have enough accessory and supplementary work, and have brought in the push press as my shoulder movement, which really helps my bench. The CGBP, in particular, also helps with elbow tucking and my groove. And of course, there will be overloads.

Unknown said...

This will be an interesting experiment indeed - I'm curious to see if there's much difference in your speed with ditching the dynamic days for a while.

Are you actually looking to increase your vertical jump, or are you just using the strength building ideas from that article? What's your jump height like at the moment?

Alberto said...

Scott, the push press and the power clean ties in my deadlifting, front squatting, and pressing in a very explosive fashion. Yes, I would like to jump higher, since I love to play basketball. But , more important, it lets me use my whole body at once, which is great for strength gains. And it's fun. That, and I need to learn the power clean:) Later on, I could tie those two lifts together to do clean and jerks, maybe even the snatch with a little more work.

I can jump onto the center of a 32 inch box, and can barely clear a 36 inch box. Oh yeah, box jumps are a good test of squat explosiveness when a Tendo is not an option.

John said...

Alberto, I like the wave loading and percentages on your Prilepin cycle.
Looks like a good plan!
Dunking a basketball, at less than 5'6 something I'll never have to worry about! LOL

Alberto said...

Spud Webb was 5'7" and could dunk, John:) There's hope for you yet!!!