Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Lifter's Dilemma

Next week is a max week for me not only for three big lifts but the beginning of testing for my next cycle's lifts. In "Absolute Beginners", I laid out a prospective cycle that I was planning. I have a few different lifts in mind different than the original plan, but all else is the same.

Except, I'm a bit conflicted. My original plan was a Westside style workout with a Prilepin style progression for ME day and a gradual 7-week build up from 40-70% 1Rm for speed day for 24 reps all the way. Trying to bench heavy weight has not only made me wonder if I need to handle heavy weight more often, but also if a speed day would be much help since I've handled light weight in the 50-80% range for reps for about 7 months now. For example, 50% of 225 is 112.5 lbs and 60% is 135 lbs, weight that I've already handled for 24 reps. So I'm reconsidering the same style of Prilepin workout that I've been doing but with different lifts but also in the 80-90% 1RM range on both days, the second day being a little lighter than the other (like on Tsampa.org's Patrick Nyman template.). After 6 "weeks" of working on raw strength in the squat and bench and back, I'll go full Westside with new found strength I can turn into speed with weight I haven't handled. How much speed will I sacrifice if I decide to do this? I'm not sure. If I do it this way, the DL will be the only lift I do for speed since my squat is what I want greatly improved; the good morning will be an assistance lift only. Also, I might make the exercise selection smaller since it will demand more from my CNS.

I'm open to all thoughts on this.

4 comments:

Alberto said...

Oooops, typo .. . . should be 6 WEEKS, not 6 MONTHS. Thanks, Stinn.

Jamie said...

I would consider keeping heavy good mornings in your routine as a core exercise. Getting your back ready for heavy weight will decrease the chance of injury during squatting heavy later on. just my two cents...

There is a strongman at our gym that does good mornings with 405lbs ( it makes my back hurt just watching )

Alberto said...

I have arched back good mornings on the menu for my first squat day, done in the range of 70-80%1RM for 3-5 reps per set, right after squats. Trust me, I want all my bases covered. That, and I don't want my conventional DL to suffer.

I've heard a lot of comments on the net where they say the bench suffers the most doing Westside when they first switch. I've also noticed, especially from my own recent experiences,that the best bench routines have a lot of volume. That's a gap I want to bridge: the Prilepin Routine has made me a better lifter, Westside a faster one.

John said...

Alberto, once you start training all your lifts according to one routine then I think you'll find it takes a lot of guesswork out things.
Of course, this is coming from me... I guess I preach better than I practice.