Sunday, July 08, 2007

EFS Beginners Program: Week 9 ME Squat/DL

Friday, I Skipped the lunges and good mornings (last week's shoulder aggravator), and took a risk testing out Week 10's ME Squat/DL movement instead. The risk paid off: my shoulder feels no ill effects, and I have a good idea on what I'm capable of. Of course, I won't be doing them after SSb squats so I may do even better. I think for next week's speed work I will switch to a straight bar with the Manta Ray. For one, I think my shoulder's ready and I found that halfway through the squats my back was getting taxed, instead of towards the end, a sign that I'm starting to overtrain with the SSB Bar.

On Saturday, I felt so exhausted, and all my back muscles were lit. My shoulders were just fine. Actually, I find deadlifts sometimes helps my shoulder. Jim Wendler once joked about the power of the rack pulls as a cure all for everything, maybe he wasn't kidding.

16" SSB Box Squat: 135x3, 165x3, 195x3, 225x3, 255x3, 285x3, 315x2. 305 was my original goal here, but I felt I could do more after the 285 set. I got two controlled but very slow and hard reps, and that was enough to discourage me from the third rep. Still a PR, and I'll take it.

Rested 10 minutes.

Rack Pulls (2" Below The Knees): 235x3, 265x3, 295x3, 325x3, 355x3, 395x0. Yeah, like I've mentioned before, the top part of my deadlift feels slower than the bottom. And 395 felt like a ton, it wouldn't even budge from the rack. I know, the SSB squats probably took a proper chunk out of me, so I'll wait until Week 10 before I make an assessment.

No comments: