Monday, May 16, 2005

Wk1: Prilepin Squat/DL-Heavy

8" Front Box Squats (195): 45x6, 65x5, 75x5, 95x5, 105x5, 125x5, 155x5x3. Strength was good on these, I'm getting better coming out of the bottom. After set one at 155 lbs, I felt a tad sore in the middle of my back while stretching. Thinking hard about the set, I concluded that my back is tempted to round a bit when I touch bottom (keeping the weight racked, even with the Sting Ray, takes some strength). I tried to stay tight and arched after that and everything was fine.

Hoist Seated Leg Curls (115): 95x3x2, 100x2x2, 110x1N. Held on for 25 seconds on the negative. Basically, I had someone push the lever down and I fought to keep it there. Ran to set up the GHR, while the hams were tired.

GHR w/70 lbs assist: Failure at 5 reps, 3 reps.
GHR w/80 lbs assist: Failure at 7 reps, 5 reps. I had more this time around at 80 lbs assist. Next time, I will do better at 70. Maybe; heavy day on week 2 calls for 2 negatives on the leg curl.

Straight Leg Pull Throughs (105): 50x10, 70x8, 70x10, 80x6. High reps on this are just plain hard. My lower back gets all puffy and won't contract anymore!!!

Seated Calf Raises (125): 110x3x4

Lying Leg Thrusts: Failure at 9, 9, 7, 7

Weighted Ball Crunches (50): 25x10, 30x8, 30x10, 35x8. I haven't done these consistently for so long that I was fighting to keep my balance. I'm sure my abs will remind me of this tomorrow.

I'll do situps tomorrow. Spaghetti for dinner tonight!!!

3 comments:

John said...

Nice variety there, Alberto... I've been thinking about what you said concerning Prilepin back work... sounds like a plan... rack pulls and shrugs will be my primary movements, alternated weekly.
About going gonzo on bench day... one of these days when you're feeling frisky... JUST DO IT! Adapting to the volume of the Siders routine was tough for me in the beginning since I used to just bench then run out of gas before the assistance work.
Now I can bench and say, come back and hit the 3 board and incline presses and handle it fairly well.
I'd suggest benching for 8x3x60-70% then seeing if you've got enough left in the tank for a tricep movement and then a shoulder movement, both done fairly heavy.
Just my two cents here...

Unknown said...

With the pull-throughs, are high reps using the bent-leg variety any easier? This could be a way to finish things off - assuming the hams are still alive :)

Alberto said...

John, If not for Navy PRT in June and me doing the pushups, My benching would have more to it than it does. But my next cycle will, no pushups and more tricep work and heavier work. I want that big bench!!!

Scott, the bent leg pull-through is definitely easier but not by much. They still burn like crazy!!! They'll be in my next leg workout, I could always rest pause them if the hams are shot.