Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Wk2: Prilepin Bench/Back

It's a good thing it was rack pull day, because my hamstrings are tired and sore like hell. My quads are just fine, though.

Close Grip Bench Press (160): 45x6, 50x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 100x5, 115x5x4. I'm getting better on these. I used two different grips on these: two sets with pinkies on the first smooth ring and two with the next finger over on the rings. My triceps are starting to feel harder doing these.

Hoist Neutral Grip Chinups (155; bodyweight today was 240, used a 2.5 lbs plate in each pocket to get the 5 lbs difference): 125x6, 125x5x2, 130x4x2. The first set should have actually been 115, but I miscalculated the assist needed. So my last set was such a grind that I had to rest/pause it after 2 reps. Forearms were starting to feel pumped - - - oh, shit!

10" Incline Pushups: failure at 10, 9, 7, 6. Supersetted these with the chinups, and surprised myself with more reps. Faster ones, too.

Rack Pulls 2" Below the Knees (345): 80x6, 105x5, 135x5, 160x5, 195x5, 215x5, 240x5x4. All sets done with a double overhand grip and a ton of chalk. After the 2nd set of 240, my grip was taxed, so the third set was done with an alternate grip, and the 4th was done double overhand. My back has nothing left to give right now; no surprise there, since my chinups got heavier this week and my reps in the DL went up by 5.

Dumbbell Presses (50): 25x10, 30x8, 30x10, 35x6

Barbell Curls (80): 40x10, 50x8, 50x10 (rest paused last two reps). The 4th set was a descending set, F stands for failure at that rep: 90 (moved it an inch and held it there for 10 seconds), 80 (moved it an inch and held it for 6 seconds), 70 (got it halfway up), 60 (very slow 1F), 50x1F, 40x1F, 30x1F, 20x1F.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a very taxing workout. Do you find you get much leg drive with the rack pulls at that height, or does your back do most of the work?

Alberto said...

At that height, my lower and upper back bear most of the load. My hips get it started, but the range of motion there is so short that it doesn't lessen the load or tax my hips/hams.

The rack pulls were done at 70%1RM, last week was 79% so it wasn't too bad. I always sweat buckets doing these, it's hard work. They have made me realize that my leg drive was what was getting my deadlifts up most of the way.

John said...

That was a great workout, Alberto... good job with everything.
I think lack of stretching (tight hamstrings) is the culprit in my own shitty DLing lately...

Alberto said...

Next time you post a DL workout post a video, or some stills at various points of the motion. You have a lot of basic strength, John, the stuff you mention is easily fixed. A lot of people read your blog and with the pictures, we can all help each other.

Which reminds me, I should take pictures more often!!!