Wednesday, September 07, 2005

New Toys

My first set of bands came today from Elite FTS (Along with some free goodies). They're the light ones, purple colored. I checked a pressure chart on the Jump Stretch site: the light band is rated at 50 lbs of pressure when used for the bench press, and about 95 lbs for the squat for a 5'10" person (me!). I got it more for my squats than my benches, but will also figure out how to incorporate them into my bench training should I also decide to go that route. Especially, considering that they are a little stronger than a doubled monster-mini.

Tomorrow, since it's my parallel box squat test, I'm gonna take them for a spin. Friday, I will do flat benches with them and get a true feel for them. One idea I'm thinking is to work up to a max single on the parallel box squat, then use the same percentage of the Prilepin program based on what I have on the bar with the bands. The other is just to do very light work with them just to get acclimated only, and keep the same workout. Or use them for accessory work only until I switch to a Westside-style cycle, since I want to see if my cycle works on its own merits.

Decisions, decisions!!!

6 comments:

Alberto said...

I know Prilepin works for squats, as I've tried it, so I'm willing to change the squat part of it all. But since I want to see how effective this cycle is for bench, I'm hesitant to use bands there. But the temptation may change that.

Christian D. said...

Toys...awesome. I need to get myself some new toys. After this week I think I'm going to get some. Probably some grip stuff (Captains of Crush trainer and maybe #1) and perhaps some clothing or maybe a dip belt. We'll see. Wonder what else I could get...

Alberto said...

Hey, Christian, good luck on the 225 today. And like Stinn said, don't let that one workout with the 185 be an indicator of anything. Give it your all.

I would get the bands if I were you. They're pretty cheap compared to chains and just about anything else. And very effective.

Unknown said...

Bands are great. Instantly you find yourself with a whole new range of exercises to try. Have fun!

Alberto said...

Hey, Scott, I tried those pushups with the light band behind my back. Oh my god those were hard!!!

Alberto said...

I was on the Dr. Squat forum last week and read from a poster that EFS was having a sale. Over 30 bucks and anything ground shipping was shipped free, plus the Under the Bar book (good reading), a percentage chart poster with 6 cycles, and the band manual for free. Otherwise, the shipping is a bit much. But it's very trackable, at least.