Monday, September 12, 2005

Wk2: Prilepin Squat/DL Day 1

After Thursday's squat session, Saturday's spinning session and Sunday's 1.5 mile run (I had Navy drill this weekend, so no choice on PT), my legs weren't in much shape to squat heavy again. So, with bands in hand, I decided to experiment with dynamic benches.

Hoist Dips (test): 214x3 (226 predicted max per Brzycki's formula)

Flat Bench Press (220): I worked up to 95 lbs for 8 sets of 3. Setup? Grabbed two 100 lbs hex dumbbells, put the bar on the low j-hooks, pulled the bands taut, wrapped them around the dumbbells twice and looped it around the hex. Then I put the bar on the top sets of j-hooks. Setup was very stable, and the reps were very explosive with a fast eccentric. I have decided that after this last session on close grip benches, I will be replacing decline tricep extensions with close grip bench presses and do speed benches for 8 sets of 3, adding 10 lbs a week until at week 5, I can hit 145 lbs - - - 60 percent of 240. Then take off the bands and reduce the load for the two week deload.

Cybex Leg Curls (170): 130x6, 145x1, 135x6, 155x1, 100x15.

Band Glute Ham Raises: 4 sets of 7. Now that I have the bands, I used a setup that I once saw Kris do at Tsampa.org. I went to a room that had the punching bag and the bars on the wall, grabbed an oval exercise ball called an Resit-a-Slide so it would stay put, choked the bands on the bar, put my feet through the bars, grabbed the bands, and cranked them out. A keeper: the bands helped me less as I went along, the wall made an excellent foot plate for the most solid setup I have ever had, and the ball made an excellent fulcrum. My hamstrings were toast.

Seated Rows (150): 110x6, 130x1, 120x6, 140x1, 90x15.

Straight Leg Pullthroughs (120): 90x6, 100x1, 110x6, 120x1, 70x15.

Leg Lifts: Done betwees sets of seated rows and pullthroughs. Top set of 6 reps and low set was 4.

Lateral Step Ups: 4 sets of 12.

3 comments:

Christian D. said...

Can you send me a link to that Glute ham Raise article on Tsampa.org? I'd love to try these somewhere along the line.

Nice workout as well. Those bands sound like they are really working. Can you send me a link to those? I may go toy shopping this week. :)

Alberto said...

http://tsampa.org/training/blog/archives/2004/06/ When I saw it, he does it with a push up assist. Just throw some bands in the mix.

EliteFTS.com has the jump stretch bands, or ironwoodyfitness.com for Iron Woody bands.

Alberto said...

I try to find as many uses for things as I can, so I don't spend a ton. With powerlifting, one has to be inventive. To tell you the truth, between the internet and you guys, I've learned more in a short time than I've ever learned in magazines.