Monday, June 06, 2005

Passed!?!

This weekend was my Navy Physical Readiness test. To call it good fortune is one thing, humbling is another, cautionary tale might be more like it.

I was not over my cough and chest congestion and now had wheezing to deal with. Saturday was my measurement for bodyfat. Weight was still 234, I was measured at a height of 5 ft 9.5 in, 1/2 inch less than last which could have broken me on the measurement table but I still made it at a borderline 22%. I fugured that in April, I aerobicised myself to death and that's why I lost an inch on the neck (see my last blog entry on the Navy PRT, and you'll be able to follow it). In May, I aerobicised less and switched programs to one designed to give me more hypertrohy. I got my inch back (18 inch neck) and dropped to a 39.5 inch waist. That done, I also went to test on a 185 lbs bench press and could now triple what was a single when this cycle began. Bitchin!!!

Since this was the last month for PRT, I could not schedule it out for my makeup drill in two weeks. And I didn't want a medical waiver, either, because my package to go active hangs in the balance. So Sunday comes, I took some nose spray to keep my sinuses open for 12 hours. At lunch, I took some couch medicine with a chest decongestant. At 2PM, I took some Allegra and 2 shots of Albuterol, a strong inhaler for asthmatics. Chest now clear, PRT was on for 3 PM.

I did 38 pushups, good enough to pass but not what I wanted. I'll probably just do them this way from now on to build them up. With my feet up, I think my delts have the advantage. When I did the 38 my chest, biceps, and triceps had a crazy pump going on. I also did 60 situps.

I had the run mapped out in my head. The course is mapped out per quarter mile, so I figured (in 2 minute 9 second increments) when I should hit each marker for a slightly under 13 minute 1.5 mile. I knew I was in for it when after the first quarter mile, I was panting hard. I made half the course in 6 minutes, and that's when the walking started. I could not catch my breath. So I alternated running and walking (a lot), still had trouble catching my breath, was feeling woozy, then after the 1 and a 1/4 mile marker, I started sprinting as fast as I could (not very, this day, but I wasn't gonna fail) and crossed the finish line in 13 minutes and 58 seconds, 1 minute worse than my last two runs. I could barely breathe, and 10 minutes of walking it off wasn't helping. I took two puffs of inhaler and it barely helped. That night, I took some cough medicine and more inhaler. Nothing helped, and my wheezing was so bad I sounded like a smoker.

So, I went to the doctor today, and she said that I had Bronchitis. Gave me some Zithromax (A very powerful antibiotic, 3 pills have 10 days worth of effect) and a codeine-based cough medicine, and told me to keep using the puffer as needed. I also took the day off. Figure Wednesday, I will lift again. Took my first doses when I got home, and felt measurably better and VERY SLEEPY.

When I want something, my body follows my will. This would be a lot easier if I lost weight. I need to stop manipulating neck and waist numbers and move towards a much lighter bodyweight. I know that greatly reducing my aerobics in May didn't help. Neither did having bronchitis and having to run. But a lighter weight would have helped, I remember what running in those days was like and it was not like this. 206 would be nice, 196 would be the bee's knees. I have to consider aerobics in a performance kind of way, also, not just from a fat loss standpoint: a few summers ago, I got close to 225 lbs playing a lot of basketball, since one is constantly sprinting, an indicator that I need this kind of aerobics as well as the steady state stuff. As long as I'm in the military, I better master running. Does this mean no more powerlifting? No, because my endurance work benefits from more strength. Right now, I got some thinking to do. But first things first . . . .

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

5 comments:

John said...

Hey, Alberto... great job on your PRT... 38 pushups and 60 situps is great. You couldn't do much about the run being an asthmatic with bronchitis. Take care of yourself and you'll definitely do better next time.
Just an idea but maybe the best program for you would be a Westside lower body split with a bodyweight upper body circuit (chins/dips/pushups) plus conditioning drills like sandbag carries and sled dragging.

Christian D. said...

Alberto,

Glad to see that you made it through your PRT. To bad about the bronchitis. Watch the heavy lifting while on those meds. I had bronchitis awhile back and was taking some meds and it totally took me out of it. Perhaps a week off is needed and then get back into it. Perhaps trying John's plan. Or perhaps a Westside for Skinny Bastards which seems to have the ability for a lot of GPP in it (I just started this...will let you know how it goes). Also watch the diet. Low carb higher protein!

Alberto said...

Thanks guys. The cough medicine, I take at night because of the codeine. Everything else doesn't bug me. But I can't push my lungs too much right now. My son wanted to play one on one ball last night and I thought it wouldn't be so bad but all the running after the bugger got me coughing again. I'm probably going to do military -style drills to get me in better conditioning. If I had the dough, a sled is tops on my list.

John said...

Palate... hahaha... That's the roof of your mouth, Stinn... what you mean is a pallet.
Not making fun of your spelling ability, just that that made me laugh.

Christian D. said...

Tire works great for a sled. Got one myself and have filled some of the center with logs. Now if I'd just get out there and use it. Perhaps tomorrow. Make sure that you don't tie the ropes around the tire or you'll lose your rope pretty quickly...well if you drag it on cement!