Friday, June 24, 2005

Wk4: Prilepin Squat/DL Light

My cough is starting to get better, so I'm happy. You could tell where I was in the gym before: just listen!!!

12" Front Box Squats (265): 60x6, 80x5, 100x5, 125x5, 145x5, 190x5x3, 190x2, 190x3. Heavy, considering the new weight level, so it was a sweat fest. My tightness wasn't there the first set, didn't have the big air. After that I did and it went better but still hard. The set of two found me tired, and I couldn't get up on the third rep. Next set, I got the last three reps.

Hoist Seated Leg Curls (115): 100x5x2, 110x3x2, 110x3RO (Rep Outs), 110x3RO. Since I didn't go past 4 reps on the rep out, I'm stuck at 115 for the rest of the week. Maybe next time. I'm so glad that for the Add 50 program, this is the last week of negatives.

GHR w/70 lbs of assist: Failure at 7, 6 reps.
GHR w/80 lbs of assist: Failure at 6, 6 reps. Decided today to not do the pull through before the GHR, so I had more hammie to give. Not bad.

Straight Leg Pull Through (115): 60x10, 70x8, 80x8x2.

Ab Circuit for 1 set, just to get familiar with some of these movements: Plank (5 10 second holds), lying leg thrusts, cable lifts (like a woodchopper from the bottom), ball crunches, cable woodchoppers, alternating supermans, side bridges, incline situps. I will find another way to work calves, I want to put a lot of effort into my core from now on. This circuit had me sweating buckets, and my abs tired.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Not a bad looking ab circuit. What sort of calf stuff are you thinking about?

Alberto said...

I have some Strength Shoes I haven't used in ages, and a program from Fred Hatfield I got from an old post on the Dr. Squat Forum. I just feel like I need something more dynamic.

Unknown said...

I'm interested in any feedback on the strength shoes, if you decide to use them. Call me skeptical, but I really don't see how they make any difference long term. After all, what stops your calves behaving as before once you take the shoes off?

Anonymous said...

strength shoes? please elaborate...

Alberto said...

They are shoes with a front platform - - - basically, they force you to be on your toes. When you run or walk, 4 to 6 times your bodyweight comes down on your calves (one reason why calves need more work than the average muscle). When you step, the weight is loaded on your calves, and you calves get a stretch on the bottom of that step. The strength shoes take advantage of that. When I first got them years ago, 30 minutes of walking up hills in these left em deeply sore. I've heard that they do or do not work. I'm willing to dust them off and give it a go.

The program from Fred Hatfield has one doing sprints, side shuffles, jumps, etc. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

by chance i was reading the shoes and safety section in supertraining. it listed two studies and the following info:

if your not striking the ground in a 'normal' fashion the plantar reflex is likely to be desensitized with long term use, increasing the risk of injury. (Robbins et al 1988)

also the point of pressure on the sole of the foot determines the position to where the leg extends, and that shoes that alter the geometry of the foot can cause the pattern of recruitment of the muscles to change. (Guyton 1984) - i guess you want this to occur at some level but i'd be worried that it maybe detrimental at some other level.

Alberto said...

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye on it. I just won't overdo it, either - - - easy does it!!!