Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Wk4: Prilepin Bench/DL-Heavy

Dumbbell Shoulder Presses (Test): 10x8, 20x6, 25x4, 35x2, 40x1, 50x1, 55x3 (58 pounds predicted max but I'll use 55 for all intents and purposes, for more control.)

Hoist Neutral Grip Chins (160): 135x5x2, 150x3x2, 150x3 (Rep Out), 150x2 (Rep Out). Since I did not do over 4 reps, my 1RM for the week stays the same.

10" Incline Pushups: Failure at 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, reps

Ultra Wide Sumo Deadlifts (315): 135x5, 145x5, 175x5, 205x5, 225x5, 250x4 (6 was the goal and this pissed me off), 250x5 (Oh boy, this is going to be hard), 250x5 (I saw stars and stuck my head out the window, I felt like I was going to hurl. Good thing I only had 4 more reps to go), 250x4. Like I said before, one should only test in this cycle at the end of it, not the middle. I might stick it out til the end and cheer when I get to the deload week but if this breaks me this week, week 5 will go back to the old maxes.

Barbell Curls (90): 50x10, 60x8, 70x5x2

8 comments:

John said...

Nice workout, Alberto... working the shoulders hard will definitely help your bench. Good job with the rack pulls.

John said...

Shit... I meant sumo DLs... LOL

Unknown said...

Are you primarily using the Brzycki equation to calculate approximate 1RMs? I've heard mixed reviews on this - how accurate has it been for you in the past?

Anonymous said...

congrats on the sumo deads, thats some good pulling.

alberto i asked scott recently i though maybe you'd have a copy of prilepin's 1974 paper?

Alberto said...

Scott,
There's no way I could do 1RMs for every exercise I do for a cycle. Very tedious, and a sure route to burnout. I'll do them for the powerlifts, mainly. In the support movements, I'll base a 1RM on my 5-6 reps max, where I have excellent control of the weight. My week 4-7 of this cycle in the bench was based on the formula simply because testing for 1 RMs on those the same week I did for the squats and DLs would have fried my CNS. For me, Brzycki's pretty close, but the NSCA formula is more accurate if used for the squat, DL, and Bench.

John Yeo:
The only thing I have on A. S. Prilepin is that paper I sent you by Gavrilo Gavrilov. I couldn't even find it on the Internet. I would suggest asking Louie Simmons through Westside's website to see where you can find it. I did find this site of russian weightlifting articles, though, you may find interesting: http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/index.html.

Alberto said...

On the last deadlift article on the Westside Barbell website, they said that it builds extremely strong hip muscles. When I first did them I could see why: very little leg drive, not too much back movement, and once you drop down a bit its nothing but hip thrust, glutes, and hams driving that weight up. In my current program I'm using it, along with the rack pulls below the knees, to master my two toughest parts of the DL: peeling it off the floor and the lockout. The two different height front box squats plus accessory work are to take care of everything else.

Christian D. said...

Alberto,

Do you think that sumo deadlifts could replace the high pulls you recommended on my deadlift since I can't very easily high pull. I think for these next 3 weeks I'm going to either pull sumo or perhaps get back to squatting (box squatting...going light and working on form)

Alberto said...

Not really, because with the high pull, you carry the explosion further up vice stopping. Don't worry about using heavy weights with it . . . use a weight that allows good form and good speed, no matter how small, and do 8-10 fast singles as an accessory movement on one of the days.

Oh, this will help you understand:

http://www.strengthcats.com/nodeadlift.htm