Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Twice

Yesterday was the beginning of my new workout change. My substitutions will stay the same for the next 3 weeks, and the next Prilepin cycle. I wanted to work my back hard and take a break from rowing, but not end up doing the additional leg work extra deadlifts would bring. Also, I wanted to improve my existing deadlift, not necessarily raise it by much.

If you notice, yesterday was listed as a back/bench day, not a squat/DL day. That's with keeping with the change. On my next back/bench day, the movement will be rack pulls from 2" below the knees. The other days will be low box front squats from 10" and 14" depth. Since I'm on a Westside 3-day split, this might not be so bad. The ultra wide sumos will work the initial part of the pull ("peeling the weight off the floor"), the rack pulls will work the lockout, and the front squats will work the in between. I will still do GHRs on both leg days but will do pull throughs instead of back raises. The rest is a work in progress. Since the next three weeks are between 53%-70% 1RM for up to 24 reps total in that range, that should get me conditioned for the next cycle which will take me as high as 80% 1RM.

Yesterday's workout was not too bad and I actually had some left in the tank. Friday is rack pull day, and my next deadlift day after that is Wednesday. We'll see if my body can handle it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Never spent enough time getting comfortable with the front squat. Have you found any transfer to the mid-range of a deadlift?

Alberto said...

RDL is awesome. Good Mornings. Box squat with any implement. . . I use the front squat right now only because a 300 lbs front squat is my goal. High-box step-ups. Deadlifts with chains would really rock, since it will teach you to pull all the way. Really, Scott, most people fail the DL at the lockout or the launch, rarely in between. An explosive launch would give you good carry through in the middle and, if you use Oly- type lifts for explosiveness plus strong traps, a fast lockout. I would go for the chains, then bands, then straight weight. I think you have bands . . . you'll just need chains.

Alberto said...

www.strengthcats.com/nodeadlift.htm

John said...

Looks like you've got a well thought out plan, Alberto... finishing your workout with high rep pull-throughs sounds like just the thing.