Friday, April 14, 2006

ME Squat/DL

Lunchtime: LifeFitness Elliptical, Level 8 Hill: 30 Minutes. I'll be back to running next week, my shin splints are gone. I'll probably just run three times a week and do the elliptical the other two. 5 times a week was killing my shins.

Evening:
This week was tough. The squatting was tough enough but the rack pulls took it out of me, too. That, and all the testing this week, left me feeling just beat up and tired but my last day of this cycle is scheduled to be May 29 and I want to keep it that way - - - PRT is June 3.

16" Box Squats: 150x5, 175x5, 200x5, 225x5, 250x5, 285x5 (5RM). My back felt so stiff that every set but the last was done with the Manta Ray - - - my back muscles were warmed up enough on the last set to go bare-bar. Out of the rack, the weight felt easy with very little lean, so as far as that goes this program is paying dividends. On the last set Desi (I finally got his name, the Filipino guy I use for spots) showed up, I set the pins, had him stand behind me, tightened the belt as tight as I could get it, and got my 5RM with 285. Notice the pattern: 295 is next. When I drop down to a 14" box, it will be the same progression: 275, 285, 295. When I start The EliteFTS beginners program, the first wave is a low box squat for an ME movement, and I may try the same progression there, too.

24" Step-ups: 3 sets of 10 with BWT

Nautilus Nitro Abduction: 85x10, 95x10, 100x7
Nautilus Nitro Adduction: 65x10, 75x10, 80x10

Superset: Incline Situps: Failure at 22, 16, 12, 11 reps.
Seated Calf Raises: 50x10, 55x10, 60x10, 65x8

Band GHR: Failure at 6, 6, 5, 5 reps. I put the bands a little higher for more help, I was dead legged at the end.

Our house closed today. We got the keys. I'm fucking happy. It will be busy the next few weeks but I'm staying on course. Can't wait to get the home gym set up.

4 comments:

Alberto said...

When my PRT is done, I'm going to take a week off, then test squat, deadlift, and bench. I have to for my next program.

Christian D. said...

congrats on the house...it's going to be nice getting out of the apartment isn't it? :)

Also are you doing any warm ups before you head into your squats? I've found that really helps me out.

Alberto said...

The workup is my warmup, I start at 47% of my 1RM for 5 reps and move up 8% at a time.

Christian D. said...

Probably wouldn't hurt to take a look at the Core Performance manual and implement some of those things. I've found that they help me out quite a bit.