Thursday, July 28, 2005

Jackass!!!

Yesterday, I saw two guys challenging each other with a 475 lbs squat. I was a little impressed. I didn't see the whole thing: I was too busy doing lying tricep extensions and focusing on the bar over my face to notice anthing more.

When I went to do the speed sumo's, I saw everything on my rest periods. The bar was set high enough that it was not even a quarter squat . . . . huh? He barely racked it, almost immediately started going down with it and after an inch of controlled descent, rounded his back and went down forcefully . . . almost dumping the bar. Huh? One of his friends walks over and asks him if he could even lift it and he dares to try. I could have told him he wouldn't and I'm sure he could have, too: the bar didn't even budge, and his back was REALLY rounded. This went on a few more times. Needless to say, I will never spot this guy.

I'm a fan of negatives and partials, but control is always a prerequisite. That was just an injury waiting to happen. I laughed on the inside, but felt really sorry for him.

For a second . . . .

5 comments:

Christian D. said...

LOL!! You should have got video for that one Alberto! I've seen some pretty good one's lately. Have you seen Diesel Wiesel's lifts at all?

Alberto said...

What's the URL for Diesel Wiesel?

Alberto said...

There is an article on t-nation, the latest of Dave's toolbox, where they describe benching with a combination of weight releasers, bands, and chains. It may change your views on negatives. By themselves, negatives don't do much for strength but with a fast concentric and accomodation, it could be potent.

Christian D. said...

Alberto,

I'll run down a couple of links for you and get those. Diesel Wiesel is a legend in weight lifting sites. You'll get a good ab workout watching his videos that's for sure (from laughing!).

Alberto said...

I'll bet you it ain't for beginners!!!