Monday, July 18, 2005

Wk6: Prilepin Bench/DL

Week 6 is finally here . . . . woohoo!!! Deload is next week, time for new exercises and a break. You just don't know. . . . I'm craving a change.

Close Grip Bench Press (200): 45x6, 60x5, 75x5, 95x5, 110x5, 110x5, 125, 150x6x3. Felt great, good control, and cadence.

Hoist Neutral Grip Chinup (165: BWT 238.2): 148.2x5x2, 158.2x3x2, 168.2x2. I don't move up in weight this week, this was the last rep out week.

T-Bar Rows (157): 75x10, 100x8, 115x8, 100x10. This was hard after heavy chins; the last three sets were all rest-paused.

Seated Dumbbell Press (60): 25x15, 30x12,2, 35x10. With close grip benches being done heavy, I decided to do a couple of exercises for high reps. This burned my shoulders so much it HURT!

Decline Tricep Extensions (80): 30x15, 40x12x2, 50x10. Same story, different exercise.

Ultra Wide Sumo Deadlift (315): 145x5, 175x5, 205x5, 240x6x3. John Yeo said that rows are a bitch after DL. Well, DL after everything else was no picnic, either. Grip was a struggle, lockout at the top was, too. Done after a couple of high rep movements don't help, either. But deload is next week, so all my suffering was for a good cause.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice workout. What sort of a change are you craving? New exercises, different set/rep schemes?

Alberto said...

The exercises will be different next cycle. I'll be lifting close to 90% 1RM, no front squats, less deadlifting, more benching, more specific work (to address weaknesses from the Structural Test), and I will start to train my back Westside-style (ME/DE days). I will also be gunning for my first 400 lbs squat, and I want to break 250 lbs in the bench. Lastly, my core work will change, too: I just received Core Performance by Mark Verstegen, and the ideas for core work and prehab may be just what I need. A lot of the exercises I'm doing now I've been doing since December, and it's just time. I've learned a lot since December . . . it'll be fun.

Christian D. said...

curious to see what your thinking about next as well.

I think I've already got my next rotation in mind. It will be a short one, but still I think I've got it planned. So another 6 weeks of Westside for Skinny Bastards and then onto the other program for 4 weeks. Then onto something after that. That I don't know!

I haven't done a total deload, since I've tested a couple of maxes on the structural balance stuff, but still...it's been none structured lifting! Tomorrow is deadlift max! How much you think? I've pulled 235 3 or 4 times? 250? 275?

Alberto said...

Brzycki's formula would yield a 250 max at 3 reps and a 260 max at 4 reps. But rep speed is a constant in all these formulas, and we know some people either lack it or lose it as the reps go by. Gun for 250 and see how fast the weight moves in good form. If it's really slow and a struggle, don't go further. If it flies, only you could tell if you need 10 or 20 more lbs on the bar to fail.
Or do Ian King's wave workout and the potentiation may allow you to do more. No matter what, get psyched!!!

John said...

Your weights are going up steadily in all your exercises, Alberto... very good job on the CG BP and shoulder presses.

Alberto said...

Turtle, turtle . . . LOL:)

Alberto said...

This is my first deload. I've read that it takes practice to find when you are at your peak and want to start putting speed back and sparing the CNS. You could reach your peak, miss it, or go past it and lose it. I hope you and I are on target with this.

And I agree with you on Christian. He should go in there hungry and mean!!!

Jamie said...

Change is good.

Christian D. said...

Well I didn't deadlift yesterday. Going to do it today perhaps. I was hoping to do a bench max today, but my !##%$% partner isn't going to be showing up it looks like. 10 to 9 and he's not at work yet. So deadlifts it will be. One way or another it will be a PR as I have never maxed on deadlifts. Been awhile since I've deadlifted heavy.

Alberto said...

Go get what's rightfully yours!!!

If you're set on the bench, just grab a spotter when you're ready to max. Good luck either way.