Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Wk5: Prilepin Bench-Heavy Day Lunchtime

Close Grip Bench Press (186p): 225 overload (much tougher with a close grip), 45x6, 55x5, 75x5, 85x5, 105x5, 135x5x4. Was wearing a Nike top that was part Lycra part cotton, and it was slippery against the bench pad, so I was trying extra hard to stay tight. The weight was moving fast enough, too, that I was also trying to stay put! Otherwise, a relatively easy workout.

Week 5 will be the last week I use any overloads. Week 6 will have a 63% for the flat bench press: instead of the 5 sets of 5, I will do 8 sets of 3 and focus on speed. Coupled with the following week's 50% 1RM for 8 sets of 3, it will be like a two week deload. I also decided that 215 will be my big attempt. Depending on how fast it moves, I'll gun for 225 after that.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the 215 attempt. And stay away from lycra tops!

Christian D. said...

Good luck on the 215. You will get it no problem.

stupid question probably, are you maxing before you 2 week deload? I'm assuming that you are, but just curious.

Alberto said...

I'm going to do it after the deload. Aside from giving my body a break (this cycle was tough, by design), the deload will help me put speed back into my bench.

Why not before? Friday and Tuesday's bench workout was my max effort workouts, just to get my body ready for the big weight. That's it until the max. Don't let the 215 on the Nautilus, fool you, though: it was hard but on a machine you could push all day in relative safety.

Anonymous said...

nice work on the overloading and maxing. you should be ready for the big 215, good luck for it.

Christian D. said...

I'll be curious to see how the max goes after the deload. I still think you'll get that 215 and probably the 225 as well. I should be shortly behind...I hope!