Wednesday, January 04, 2006

DE Bench

Remember when your moms told you all never go out in the rain without a coat? I didn't last Friday, when I did some of my sled dragging outside in the rain and cold. Now, I've got bronchitis to deal with. But after two days of antibiotics and an inhaler, I felt alright enough to bench. My head still feels like it's in a vice, though, from the cold medicine to clear my sinuses up. Stupid me!!!

Flat Bench Press (longest finger on rings): 95x3, 115x3, 145x3, 165x3x8 (Misload. I was supposed to do 145x3x8 and I didn' t realize it until I went to load 175 for a double and saw 165 on the bar. Still moved really good - - - not as fast as 145 I'm sure, but quicker than I planned.), 175x2, 195x1.

2-Board Press: 195x3 (Moved grip closer one finger, but my speed was off. I was paying for the misload earlier), 205x3, 225x2 (wanted that third rep, had nothing left to get it with).

Hammer MTS Front Pulldown (per arm): 80x3x9, 100x1 (10 lbs PR).

YTWLs: Rep-outs with 5 lbs for 5 sets.

DB Preacher Curls: 25x3x10. Both bars (Huh?) were taken but after doing them with the dumbbells, I may never go back. My arms tracked better this way.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never really thought about using DBs for preacher curls - interesting idea. I imagine it shows up any weaknesses on one side pretty clearly.

Christian D. said...

Good to see you back at it Alberto. Hope you are able to shake the cold that is bothering you. Sounds like you are really enjoying that sled!

Alberto said...

Scott:
Now that you mention it, that weakness is my left bicep. Not much weaker than my right one, but noticeable.

Christian:
Thanks, I feel loads better today but I probably won't be doing aerobics or the sled again until next week. BTW, Sorry about the February meet not working out but with the way your workouts are going for you (Read yesterday's, didn't have much time to comment), you may be ready for one soon.

Alberto said...

Washington has been getting rained on for about 3 weeks now (is it the same in Oregon?), so I can't really drag the sled outdoors. The first day I did that in the rain and cold I paid the price with bronchitis and a cold. If the basketball court at the apartment is empty, I drag it there because their floor is hard rubber.

Considering my schedule (As soon as I'm done working out, I have to run home and cook for the family), I would drag it on off days (upper or lower depending on what I did the day before for weights) just to help my muscles recuperate. 10-20 minutes felt great when I did it. Some light dragging before a workout would make a great warmup if you got the time. If the weather permitted, some sled dragging at lunch on the football field might be done with heavier weight or for sprints. 6 trips of 200 ft is what Louie Simmons recommends, I do that for each movement. Oh yeah, if you ever feel like shit and can't DL or SQ, drag the sled.

On my blog, Stinn left a link to a sled program guideline (http://ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4202). For you Marie, just get out there and drag and see what works for you and for what amounts of weight, and take notes. Since I'm a beginner, that's what I'm doing.