Monday, January 23, 2006

SE Squat/DL

Lunchtime:
LifeFitness Treadmill: 5-minute warmup, intervals of 90 seconds of running and 2 minutes of walking (3.8 MPH) for 2o minutes, 5-minute cooldown. The first 3 intervals were run at 7.2 MPH at a 2.0 incline, and the next ones were run at 7.0 MPH at zero incline.

Evening:

Sumo Deadlifts: 135x5, 155x5, 180x5, 205x5x4. What do I love about high rep DL? It makes you huff and puff, which is just what I need.

Hammer MTS V-Squat: 90x6, 110x6, 130x6, 150x6, 170x6, 190x5, 210x4 (Calcululated that to be a 230 max, then computed the next 4 sets), 175x5x3. This machine is kind of like a hack squat and it hit my legs hard (and more huff and puff). But to get in and out of it was a chore.

Seated Calf Raises: 25x15, 35x12, 45x10, 55x8, 65x7.

Band GHR: 20 reps in 4 sets

Lying Leg Thrusts: 4 sets of 10.

4 comments:

Christian D. said...

good to see you still at it Alberto. I've been doing a bit of huffing and puffing myself in the form of cardio. Yipeee!

Alberto said...

It's getting better. I weighed in yesterday morning at 238 lbs and the same weight in the evening before bed, so I have my metabolism humming. My conditioning is improving, and I'm recovering faster between leg workouts. So it's all good.

I saw your DL video, you don't look too bad. Like me, it's probably just the belly you can't stand. Weird, eh, how if we could just take the belly off everything else would be fine.

Alberto said...

Last week, I was only able to do 1 workout for the run because I had to pick things for the new house. Week two will be done this week Friday, and I'll have 7 weeks after that. I like it, my run's starting to come along nicely. On Tuesday and Thursday, I do a similar workout on the elliptical but with a little less walking time.

Alberto said...

Tough to answer because, though I love powerlifting, it's not my sole purpose for working out. Would I be a marathoner AND a powerlifter? No. RDC is right, and 5k shouldn't hurt you. Heck, your heart would thank you and you won't die young. But, be wary of your competition schedules, and give yourself time to recuperate and deload from both things (ie, don't schedule a race/meet too closely). I'm doing both right now only because, since I'll never meet Navy weight standards for my height, I have to trim down without losing my neck/muscle, and experience has shown this to be the best way for me. That, and it's a gradual buildup for the run.